Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Luk
(newbie) Tue 05-Jun-12 20:54:07
Print Post

What your phone line can handle

[link to this post]

I’m thinking of switching my broadband to fibre so have done some research on the subject and found out that my exchange supports fibre technology and there are fibre cables run to my local cabinet. I even went to BT Infinity website and was ready to order when I noticed that “estimated download speed on my line will be 6Mb/s”. How come? Where does this limitation come from? I’ve seen posts saying “your line only can handle X Mb or Y Mb” without explaining what causes that. Is it the physical condition of the wires from cabinet to my house or rather a setting applied by exchange so although technically cables could handle more data, exchange is not allowing it? Would be much grateful if someone could explain it.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 05-Jun-12 21:13:05
Print Post

Re: What your phone line can handle

[re: Luk] [link to this post]

It is a good estimate - although maybe on the low/safe side. Distance from the cabinet, quality of wiring from cabinet and two key points and also the speeds achieved by others close by or in similar situations to you will be used to provide the estimate.

6Mbps sounds low for an FTTC connection - can you give the EXACT text (cut and past) from the enquiry page.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Luk
(newbie) Tue 05-Jun-12 21:38:23
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for reply, BT website says: "we estimate your maximum download connection speed will be 6 Mbps" and underneath it shows bt infinity package with up to 38Mbps, lol.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Jun-12 22:27:37
Print Post

It's the Infinity checker that you should be looking at. It sounds like you've used the ADSL checker.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jun-12 22:33:28
Print Post

You were asked for exact text. All you quote are contradictory statements frown

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Luk
(newbie) Tue 05-Jun-12 22:33:31
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

IT WAS Bt infinity website, I can't post the screenshot on this forum, but you can check here:
http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/ordering-bt-i...
Standard User Luk
(newbie) Tue 05-Jun-12 22:36:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

if you follow the link, you will see that was the EXACT text.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jun-12 22:42:55
Print Post

Looks like you are a long way from the cab.

What's it say here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome (copy & paste please)?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 05-Jun-12 22:47:34
Print Post

Note the last post in that thread
It says with normal bb you can get 6mbps, but with Infinity you should be able to get 60mbps.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Luk
(newbie) Tue 05-Jun-12 22:48:28
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I've done this one before and everything looks ok:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 7.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 6Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 60.4Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to