Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User has
(experienced) Wed 27-Jun-12 21:10:26
Print Post

Effect of Enviromnental Noise on broadband

[link to this post]

I have noticed that there is virtually no packet noise on my connection between 6pm and 8am. While, at the same time, packet loss increases noticeably during the day, particularly between 8am and 2pm. This seems to be at odds with the fact that my snr decreases slightly in the evenings as opposed to the day time.

Is this a consequence of the fact that environmental noise is a great deal worse in the day time?

(I live in a very noisy built up area, where there is a great deal of environmental noise - building work etc. during the day)

H
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Jun-12 21:28:19
Print Post

Re: Effect of Enviromnental Noise on broadband

[re: has] [link to this post]

Not audible noise but EMF interference from heavy machinery?

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Jun-12 23:11:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by has:
This seems to be at odds with the fact that my snr decreases slightly in the evenings as opposed to the day time.
That's right! There is more noise on the line after dark. More noise => Less Margin. We are talking here about electrical noise not sound noise, like building sites.

Packet loss occurs not just on your connection, but between you and the servers you are talking to. The routes to them and the servers themselves are busier during the day so you can lose more packets.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Aaron_01
(member) Thu 28-Jun-12 00:25:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Have you looked at whether CRC/ES errors rise during 8am to 2pm? (Or FEC errors if you're interleaved).

Sometimes I get CRC errors as much as 2,000 per 15 minutes, when it's normally 10-15 errors per 15 minutes at other times. SNR doesn't appear to spike downwards though. I am on a new estate and there are still new houses being built about half a km away, was infact wondering if construction work was causing CRC errors to shoot up.

I'm always watching my routerstats like a hawk in fear of interleaving getting kicked in crazy

edit: was meant to be in reply to OP.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Aaron_01 (Thu 28-Jun-12 00:28:14)

Standard User has
(experienced) Thu 28-Jun-12 01:50:16
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Thank for all your replies - yes I get the point about electrical noise as opposed to other types of noise. Still wondering though why packet loss is worse midday than it is in the evening- when broadband use is at its peak (I think?)

My gut feeling is that it is related to construction/road work, that is worst at that time of day... And yes, that is likely to be emf noise rather than audible noise is something I overlooked.

Thanks again for all your feedback smile

H

Edited by has (Thu 28-Jun-12 01:53:58)

Standard User dsergeant
(member) Thu 28-Jun-12 07:01:23
Print Post

It may be worth walking round your house with a medium wave radio. When I did this a few weeks back (when my broadband was going through a disconnection spell) I was horrified how much crud there was, particularly on my incoming mains cable. I suspected at the time an issue with a nearby solar panel array - EMC radiation problems are becoming apparent from the inverters used with these, with some models being far worse than others.

With your noise problems peaking at mid-day a local solar panel array may be the cause in your case!

(touch wood, my problems seem to have gone away again).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Jun-12 10:21:29
Print Post

Which ISP are you using, some have a lot of business customers so there can be two peaks

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User has
(experienced) Thu 28-Jun-12 13:25:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Using Be - the odd thing is I have two lines in the same street (separate properties) and only one exhibits those symptoms.

H
Standard User has
(experienced) Thu 28-Jun-12 13:29:41
Print Post

[re: dsergeant] [link to this post]

That might be the culprit - my partner has some set up in the garden (to power some night lights). Not much I can do about that as she is very attached to themsmile oh well, at least evenings are fine.

H
Standard User dsergeant
(member) Thu 28-Jun-12 17:49:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by has:
That might be the culprit - my partner has some set up in the garden (to power some night lights). Not much I can do about that as she is very attached to themsmile oh well, at least evenings are fine.

I don't think the small garden light things will cause problems. I was talking about solar panels on rooftops feeding power back into the mains (in significant amounts). Although the inverters used (DC from the solar array to 50Hz mains) have to meet fairly tight specification it seems that some put out more EMC radiation than they should.

It is certainly worth wandering around with a medium wave tranny radio though. I suspect many cases of intermittent broadband dropout may have their roots in these local noise issues (which of course are impossible for the ISP to see on their tests).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to