Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Totallyout2lunch
(newbie) Tue 03-Jul-12 17:28:50
Print Post

Constant disconnections would moving ISP Help

[link to this post]

I have been with one of the worst ISPs for a while now, and have been getting constant disconnects and periods of no broadband ie 3-5 days for a long time. It used to be only during wet and windy conditions, but after numerous visits from engineers etc, its just not getting any better. (Cable spans replaced, home has been rewired, used 3 different routers and faceplates/micro filters etc)

Would switching to a different broadband company potentially fix these issues.

Im not bothered by the speed, just need access to the web when I need it.

My connection on a good day would be 1.8meg but on a slow day 300k, and then on bad days no connection at all...

Im sure the answer is no, but at this point I have lost all faith in my current broadband provider and want to move, but is it worth it?????????

--------------------------------------------------------------

Today I have led you to the edge of oblivion...
Tomorrow FORWARD!!!

Loving ZEN's 1meg speeeeedddddddd........

5 Zen Connections now and counting...

Signed up 7 more prople to Zen, (me wishes they have a good customer bonus system)
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Jul-12 17:32:19
Print Post

Re: Constant disconnections would moving ISP Help

[re: Totallyout2lunch] [link to this post]

My view is that you get what you pay for.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Jul-12 17:53:33
Print Post

Have you reported this to your ISP ? Is there any noises on your line,?
If it is down to the ISP then probably it would fix the problem
But if it down to the line it's self or anything in your home then probably it won't

You need to report it as a fault to your ISP if they refuse to help then repeat but in a more formal approach, if you are able to hear audible noise on the line when doing the bt quiet line test Best when using a corded phone in the test socket behind the faceplate, dial 17070 option 2 use secrecy button if your phone has one if not cover bit you speak into, during the test all you should hear is the recorded announcement playing over & over ,
Anything else could be a sign of a line fault, if there is noise (crackling or whirring ect ) then you can report this as a voice fault to BT or your telephone provider if not BT retail , they will arrange an engineer's visit, But best to repeat the QLT at a few different times of the day, to see if it's intermittent or constant ,if constant then you should have no worries regarding any callout charges , as the engineer should be able to hear it himself but don't mention the broadband or they will point to your ISP

You really need to establish what type of fault you have,
Voice (PTSN) OR ADSL fault noise is often a way of differentiating between them

As if there is no noise and phone is working as it should then you would have to contact your ISP in order for them to send an engineer if needed ,as it's they who have a contract with openreach for the adsl (data) and who ever you pay line rental too has a contract with them for the voice part (PTSN)

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 03-Jul-12 18:02:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Totallyout2lunch
(newbie) Wed 04-Jul-12 12:24:33
Print Post

Thanks for the answers guys but Ive reported it many times and had many engineer visits

but after numerous visits from engineers etc, its just not getting any better. (Cable spans replaced, home has been rewired, used 3 different routers and faceplates/micro filters etc)

What I want to know if CHANGING will make it BETTER???

--------------------------------------------------------------

Today I have led you to the edge of oblivion...
Tomorrow FORWARD!!!

Loving ZEN's 1meg speeeeedddddddd........

5 Zen Connections now and counting...

Signed up 7 more prople to Zen, (me wishes they have a good customer bonus system)
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jul-12 13:16:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Totallyout2lunch:
Thanks for the answers guys but Ive reported it many times and had many engineer visits

but after numerous visits from engineers etc, its just not getting any better. (Cable spans replaced, home has been rewired, used 3 different routers and faceplates/micro filters etc)

What I want to know if CHANGING will make it BETTER???
there is no way of knowing for sure , the only way to find out is by switching provider,
check out the samknows we site and see what options are available to you after you have input your post code /number

Sam knows Availability checker are there any LLU providers available as choosing a LL service would see the equipment & connection at the exchange swapped,

If there are any llu providers such as 02/BE or talk talk/tiscali then i would advise you not to take their retail offerings but get the service via one of the smaller isp's instead, that way the support is usually better, and the contract term is 1 month instead of 12 or longer, or you could give AAISP a call and see if they can help you, not cheap or unlimited but they are supposed to be good at getting faults fixed

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Jul-12 15:42:58
Print Post

if the issue is a problem with the telephone line, then other providers will use the same telephone line, so same issues.

Some providers may run the service slower, making it more immune to the problems.

What are line sync, attenuation and noise margin figures for the line now?

NOTE: If there is no LLU at your exchange, and only BT Wholesale, then changing provider will not change the line characteristics in any way.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to