Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zillah2004
(newbie) Sun 22-Jul-12 14:19:31
Print Post

VPN client getting different network address from VPN server

[link to this post]

Hi

I managed successfully from a remote mobile host (laptop) which is using windows 7 ultimate and a VPN client software installed on it called TheGreenBow to establish a VPN IPSec tunnel to my work router DrayTek 2820Vn ( VPN server).

Using the laptop I can ping the ip address for the DrayTek and I can access the web interface for the router as well.

DrayTek 2820Vn router ( VPN server ) has an ip address 192.168.10.0/24,,,,,,but ip address that was assigned to the laptop when vpn tunnel established was :

Text
Ethernet adapter TGB TOVIGOR-DrayTekTunnel:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TheGreenBow Virtual Miniport Adapter   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-50-F2-9A-09-0C
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::bd9e:396c:6828:94d7%33(Preferred)    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.10(Preferred) 
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 1040339186   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-B7-8B-2D-14-DA-E9-02-20-B2
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enable

Those ip addresses 192.168.10.1 and 10.10.10.10 are different which I would assume server and client should be in the same class ?

Regards
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Jul-12 21:23:00
Print Post

Re: VPN client getting different network address from VPN se

[re: zillah2004] [link to this post]

Those two addresses are both local network addresses (one at each end of the connection).

The whole point of the VPN link is to connect those two local networks so that each can see the other.

The two ends of the link do not need to be in the same class.

Incidently, The class system of the address space was replaced with Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR) in 1993.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 22-Jul-12 21:46:38
Print Post

[re: zillah2004] [link to this post]

That is set up correctly. If both addresses were in the same subnet, they could not be routed through the router.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zillah2004
(newbie) Sun 22-Jul-12 21:58:13
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Those two addresses are both local network addresses (one at each end of the connection).

The whole point of the VPN link is to connect those two local networks so that each can see the other.

The two ends of the link do not need to be in the same class.

I would aussme that would apply to a site to site VPN , but my case is not a site to site VPN, it is a client to site VPN, therefore I would assume the client should get its ip address when I configured the VPN server ,,,,,as below :

http://postimage.org/image/jvmuhttiv/

Edited by zillah2004 (Sun 22-Jul-12 22:00:07)

Standard User zillah2004
(newbie) Sun 22-Jul-12 22:14:35
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

If both addresses were in the same subnet, they could not be routed through the router.

This is understandable but my case is similar to the one below :

Assume a remote host with public IP address 1.2.3.4 wishes to connect to a server found inside a company network.
The server has internal address 192.168.1.10 and is not reachable publicly. Before the client can reach this server, it needs to go through a VPN server device that has public IP address 5.6.7.8 and an internal address of 192.168.1.1.
All data between the client and the server will need to be kept confidential, hence a secure VPN is used.

The VPN client connects to a VPN server via an external network interface.
The VPN server assigns an IP address to the VPN client from the VPN server's subnet. The client gets internal IP address 192.168.1.50, for example, and creates a virtual network interface

Regards
  Print Thread

Jump to