Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BIGEYE
(newbie) Fri 31-Aug-12 16:54:23
Print Post

Master socket & extension wiring

[link to this post]

My old master socket was the cause of some crackling on the line, or so I thought. Anyway I ordered a new master socket which arrived today. To my horror, the new socket has only 3 terminals numbered 2,3 & 5, wheras the old socket has 6 terminals numbered 1 to 6. I have an extension connected which runs upstairs to my router socket.
Anyway, installed the new faceplate with the colours Blue with white rings to terminal 2, Orange with white rings to terminal 3 and White with blue rings to terminal 5. My phone works and router works when plugged in to the new master socket.
However, my router will be located upstairs on the extension. Question is how to I connect the extension wires to the new master socket. The colours on the extension cable I have are White with orange rings, Green with white rings, and White with green rings.

The extension socket is wired as follows:
1 = White with blue rings
2 = Blue with white rings
3 = Orange with white rings
4 = White with orange rings
5 = Green with white rings
6 = White with green rings

TIA

Edited by BIGEYE (Fri 31-Aug-12 17:14:48)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Aug-12 17:12:51
Print Post

Re: Master socket & extension wiring

[re: BIGEYE] [link to this post]

Terminals 2 and 5 are the only ones you want to use. 3 is the 'ring wire' and often causes significant interference (unbalanced pair) slowing down your ADSL connection.

As for colours it doesn't really matter as long as you keep to a plan - i.e. use the same colours on each end of any extensions.

Your best bet though is to install an ADSL faceplate filter on the Master Socket (mine is from ADSLNation which I can recommend) - you can then run a dedicated cable for your router with everything filtered 'at source' making the most of your line smile

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Aug-12 18:10:08
Print Post

The existing extension will work, but it has split the pairs, which can result in noise crackling being picked up.

Wire the socket at both ends of the extension like in the picture at
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/faq/faceplates/...

You can ignore the wire on pin 4 it does nothing.

So you end up with white with blue rings going to pin 2 at both ends
blue with white rings going to pin 5 at both ends

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BIGEYE
(newbie) Fri 31-Aug-12 18:36:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Before I got to your replies, I checked the wiring at the remote end of the extension and it has Green & with white rings on terminal 5 and Bluw with white rings on terminal 2. Connected new master socket likewise and everything works OK.
Great, now I'll try the ADSL adaptor faceplate that I ordered at the same time (though it was a good idea). Wired up Blue with white rings to terminal 2 and Green with white rings to terminal 5. Removed all line filters, phone working, downstairs, router not working in extension socket upstairs. So fitted back the faceplate and filters, and all working OK. I still would like to get the ADSL faceplate working. My upstairs extension is wired as follows:
1 = White with blue rings
3 = Orange with white rings
4 = White with orange rings
6 = White with green rings

The new faceplate is wired

TIA
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Aug-12 18:38:10
Print Post

What you have done will work, but it is likely to result in extra noise.

By using the colours as we have suggested you make the wiring more immune to noise.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BIGEYE
(newbie) Fri 31-Aug-12 18:55:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The existing extension will work, but it has split the pairs, which can result in noise crackling being picked up.

I see what you mean by splitting the twisted pairs. However, no noise on line ATM, but will ke ep this in mind.

I like the idea of a dedicated cable for my router from the ADSL faceplate. I was thinking of utilising the existing cable and connecting a pair to terminals A&B on the ADSL faceplate (I assume that is what A&B are for), but what do I connect to at the remote end?

TIA
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 31-Aug-12 19:27:54
Print Post

Just use terminals 2 and 5 but note, because you have a split pair you will experience problems with DSL such as instability and reduced speed.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Aug-12 19:53:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by BIGEYE:
...Great, now I'll try the ADSL adaptor faceplate that I ordered at the same time (though it was a good idea). Wired up Blue with white rings to terminal 2 and Green with white rings to terminal 5. Removed all line filters, phone working, downstairs, router not working in extension socket upstairs. So fitted back the faceplate and filters, and all working OK. I still would like to get the ADSL faceplate working...

Were you trying to get the router working at the end of the extension from the filtered voice wires (blue/white and green/white which are not incidentally a twisted pair) connected at the back of the filtered faceplate at the master?

If you connect a twisted pair to A&B on the back of the master's filtered faceplate then you will need to use a dangly filter at the extension socket for a router and phone. Or preferably a filtered faceplate designed for an extension socket together with CAT5 cable (data extension,) this would involve using a high quality twisted pair between the master's filtered faceplate connections A&B to the connections on the extension socket's filtered faceplate.
Standard User partial
(regular) Fri 31-Aug-12 21:01:44
Print Post

Split pairs will not cause audible noise, it will just slow the broadband down.
  Print Thread

Jump to