Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Guy_Smith
(regular) Tue 11-Sep-12 16:15:28
Print Post

BT Infinity FtC and TBB Broadband Quality Monitor

[link to this post]

Hello,

I have just had BT Infinity 2 installed (Fibre to Cabinet) and was sold it with estimated of 73 down and 17 up. I was told by the engineer that the connection would be monitored for the first 10 days to adjust for the best connection speed. His speed check set-up told him I should get 70 down 20 up.
I have done several speed checks and am starting at a very low start point of 15 down 5 up. I have set up a TBB Broadband Quality Monitor and the re is 100% packet loss. I have done a restart on the router and modem and get the same results.

My questions are:
As far as the speed is concerned. Am I expecting too much too soon?
Does the TBB Broadband Quality Monitor compatible with BT Infinity?

Cheers, Guy.

cool Guy Smith laugh
History will tell of our generation living in Eldorado.
Want to make God laugh? Tell him your plans!
Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Tue 11-Sep-12 16:59:51
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity FtC and TBB Broadband Quality Monitor

[re: Guy_Smith] [link to this post]

Give the speed time to settle and dont disconnect the router or modem. Are you doing the speedchecks wireless or wired as you need them wired to get a true speed.

Also for the TBB monitor you need a static ip for it to work continually however I have read some people have found it to work using a dynamic ip which is sticky or dont suffer from disconnections which would cause the ip to change when rebooting.

Edited by NuttyMucker (Tue 11-Sep-12 17:08:45)

Standard User Guy_Smith
(regular) Tue 11-Sep-12 17:10:54
Print Post

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

Okay cheers for that.

Yes I did restart the modem and the IP address was changed. So I have created a new TBB QM. I was with o2 before and even though I was not on a fixed IP account the IP always stayed constant.

I understand the system needs to settle down but I worry about the low stating point.

cool Guy Smith laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Sep-12 17:24:54
Print Post

The Home Hub 3 will NOT respond to the WAN ICMP pings, so is incompatible with the BQM.

Other routers are perfectly fine.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 11-Sep-12 17:26:06
Print Post

The HH3 doesn't respond to pings. You need something that does respond for the monitor to work. One way to do this is to put your old router in the DMZ.

The line stats are hidden so you can't see your sync speeds, SNR etc. To do this you need a modem that does give that information, or you can hack the modem to see the stats.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Sep-12 17:26:19
Print Post

As for settling down, what a load of rubbish.

Line will seek out the best sync at one time, and does not do any weird, lets try 70 for 2 days, now 10 Meg for a day etc.

The www.speedtester.bt.com is where you can get the best information on the line performance, without hacking the Openreach modem.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Guy_Smith
(regular) Tue 11-Sep-12 20:57:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have tried your speedtester.bt.com suggestion and via an Ethernet connection it is reporting 70/13Mbps, whilst the TBB meter reports 41/5.
This is all well and good but I want to download and upload from and to other websites apart from bt.com, and via wi-fi!

cool Guy Smith laugh
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Sep-12 22:30:28
Print Post

Wifi is very much a be in the same room affair if you want to push 70 Meg across it, and 802.11n 300 Mbps connections are needed

What speed is the PC reporting it is connected at what when using wifi

Standard User Guy_Smith
(regular) Wed 12-Sep-12 07:12:54
Print Post

My 11n wi-fi is connecting at 130Mbp but during transfer of data the speed fluctuates, to as low as 6.5Mbps, and the Ethernet cable connects at 100Mbps and holds that during data transfer.
I have also tried reconnected my 11n router to the HH3, which I used previously running in tandem with my o2 ADSL Router 11g, This is connecting at 270Mbps but on data transfer is only going as low as 54Mbps.

Is it that the Home Hub 3 is just a useless wireless router?

cool Guy Smith laugh
Standard User Guy_Smith
(regular) Wed 12-Sep-12 07:14:34
Print Post

My 11n wi-fi is connecting at 130Mbp but during transfer of data the speed fluctuates, to as low as 6.5Mbps, and the Ethernet cable connects at 100Mbps and holds that during data transfer.
I have also tried reconnected my 11n router to the HH3 which I used previously running in tandem w

cool Guy Smith laugh
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to