Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JaspalSingh
(regular) Tue 11-Sep-12 21:48:01
Print Post

Master Socket

[link to this post]

Hi,

The wiring in our house was done by BT back in the days, around the 1990's. They had installed one socket in the upstairs front room and a extension in the front room downstairs. There was a extra third one which BT installed in the living room.

Now, coming forward to just two years ago. A BT engineer was working on the telephone pole and he must have forgotten to reconnect the wires, well something happened and it knocked our telephone line out.

Well, BT engineer came around, check everything, found the fault on the Pole and reconnected the wires.

He noticed that we didn't have a BT Master Socket, so he replaced the socket in the upstairs front room with a master socket.

Well, around two weeks ago, I was experiencing problems with my broadband speeds, was getting nothing, around 160kbps.

Well, BT engineer came around today, found a fault with the wiring from the master socket to the black connector which connects to the main wire to the telephone pole. Well he changed that wire and he also done some wire changing from the BT junction box to the bottom of the pole.

After all of that, I was receiving around 7MB, which was great.

BUT for some reason, when he connected the internal wiring back in, the speed dropped. He said it was probably because of the other wire which goes from the master socket, down the outside wall and back into the downstairs front room. (this was the socket which BT installed yonks ago)

(before the this speed problems, I was getting a cool 6MB on my internal wiring with no problems)

He said to replace that wire as its probably damaged and moving it around will have caused it more damage. I asked him, isn't BT responsible for what they install? He said no, its only upto the Master Socket.

Is he right? Is it upto the Master Socket and thats it. Even if BT have installed the other two extensions???
Standard User panda
(committed) Tue 11-Sep-12 21:53:40
Print Post

Re: Master Socket

[re: JaspalSingh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JaspalSingh:
Is he right? Is it upto the Master Socket and thats it. Even if BT have installed the other two extensions???
Yes.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Tue 11-Sep-12 21:59:30
Print Post

If the ring wire is still connected with the old extension, that could be the cause of the problem. If it is still connected, disconnect it (see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm).

And of course, make sure you have a microfilter fitted at the extension if you are using it.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Tue 11-Sep-12 22:00:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 11-Sep-12 22:12:39
Print Post

Two scenarios - BT install wiring and the customer paid the full cost and BT gave a 1 or 2 year guarantee from time of install, so that would have expired. So, after the guarantee period, it is down to the customer to resole faults normally by paying.

The second is that BT installed the extensions and charged a monthly rental fee for each one and were liable for any repairs at any time. If your bill shows additional rental charges then you might have a case, but it is unlikely as I believe they charges were removed years ago.

So, yes up to the master only and nothing past it is the likely situation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(regular) Wed 12-Sep-12 12:21:42
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

the extension wire which is connected from the faceplate, then going outside, downstairs and back into the house, etc. I can only see two wires connected to the back of the faceplate.

do I have to check each socket and make sure that the "ringwire" is disconnected?

Surely, if they are disconnected at the master socket faceplate, that would be enough?
(regular) Wed 12-Sep-12 12:23:20
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I will try and run a temporary wire from the upstairs faceplate to the downstairs socket and see if I get an improvement.

What I don't understand is, even if the router is connected directly to the master socket, via the faceplate, the speed shouldn't drop should it??
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 12-Sep-12 12:40:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by JaspalSingh:
I will try and run a temporary wire from the upstairs faceplate to the downstairs socket and see if I get an improvement.

What I don't understand is, even if the router is connected directly to the master socket, via the faceplate, the speed shouldn't drop should it??

If there are still extensions connected to the faceplate then yes you could still experience a drop if those wires are picking up noise or causing an imbalance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Wed 12-Sep-12 14:50:17
Print Post

do I have to check each socket and make sure that the "ringwire" is disconnected? Surely, if they are disconnected at the master socket faceplate, that would be enough?

That seems logical, but I have read somewhere (?) that it is worth removing the ring wire at both ends. But there are lots of old wives tales in broadband technology, so who knows?

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
(regular) Wed 12-Sep-12 15:02:11
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

I have just ordered this IDC tool, and will get some 2 pair wire to run outside the house. Problem is, I can't find any external telephone cable which is like the old grey wire I have now. I might just run the internal one outside.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IDC-Punch-Down-Tool-automati...
(regular) Wed 12-Sep-12 15:06:39
Print Post

the only thing which is hard wired into the phone line is the adt alarm, but never had a problem with it before the speed problems.

I did disconnect all sky boxes and telephone aswell. Can't disconnect ADT alarm as its wired directly into a socket. But like I said, before this speed problem, never had an issue.

So it might just be that old croded wire, well the plastic cover is croded, the wire itself inside is ok.

I'll eliminate the outside old wire first, then move onto the next thing, as soon as I have collected all the tools. Waiting for IDC tool, should come tommorow.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to