Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User filopastry
(member) Fri 14-Sep-12 10:34:32
Print Post

Master socket and FTTC

[link to this post]

Forgive my ignorance on matters of telephone wiring, but I've got an imminent BT Infinity install, some rather old wiring in my rented flat and an awkward landlord, all of which are combining to give me a bit of headache at the moment!

The current situation is that I have a wire coming into my flat in the hallway, behind the door there is what must be a BT52A termination box I believe.

From there all wiring within the flat is hidden either under floorboards or behind skirting boards, so I can't track what goes where exactly.

There are however at least 4 phone sockets within the flat in total (I'm unaware of any others but its not impossible that they could be hidden behind furniture), 1 in the kitchen is an obvious extension, so I'm ignoring it for the purposes of tracking down the elusive master socket, and one in bedroom 1, one in bedroom 2 and one in the lounge.

All of the latter 3 look identical, there is no split face plate but they are all BT branded with the old "T" logo in the bottom right hand corner, are each of these master sockets or do I not have one at all in the property?

From doing some basic reading on this it seems I could get a new master socket where the BT52A is coming into the property, however there are no power points near there, and it's also not a convenient spot for either modem or router to be installed.

My strongly preferred install spot is in the lounge at or near one of the 3 BT branded sockets, but I was wondering if this might be possible with the existing wiring or whether this would require additional wiring to be added (the landlord doesn't want any long visible wiring installed as everything is currently hidden away).

I just wanted to get an idea of what my options might possibly be as I'd prefer to cancel the install and avoid taking time off work if there isn't likely to be a workable solution to satisfy all parties.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Sep-12 10:58:44
Print Post

Re: Master socket and FTTC

[re: filopastry] [link to this post]

Did you inform ISP of the confusion on ordering VDSL?

Without knowing the exact wiring layout hard to say how easy it is to make one of the other sockets the new modern master.

Why is the one in the kitchen an obvious extension? The one that is the nominal master (and one should be if BT installed, and not landlord installed) should have a capacitor on the back, e.g. http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephon... has older style master/slave pictures to help in identifying

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User filopastry
(member) Fri 14-Sep-12 11:17:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The one in the kitchen is an unbranded small socket so I'd pretty much written it off as being likely to be a master socket.

I hadn't said anything to BT when ordering as I wasn't actually aware of the issue until now, also wasn't aware that the landlord was going to be awkward about it either as they've tended to be pretty flexible on similar issues in the past, but I guess that's where assuming gets you.

I'll have a look at taking the cover off when I get home this evening, if the lounge one and bedroom 1 aren't master sockets I'll probably just cancel, rapidly turning into more hassle than it's worth and it's not like my speed is ridiculously slow on my existing ADSL connection (get 18meg+ synced speed and no contention issues), and Be gave me a good retention offer

Edited by filopastry (Fri 14-Sep-12 11:20:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Sep-12 11:29:24
Print Post

You can do the following.

1. Let engineer attend, worst case they make the master where junction box is, best case its exactly where you want.
2. Even if at junction box, a data extension can be run (if ordered via ISP), you can get engineer to leave this and you run it, and just ensure that it is removed when ending rental agreement.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User filopastry
(member) Fri 14-Sep-12 11:35:03
Print Post

Thanks, yes I'd have no issue with a "temporary" cable between the hall and lounge, as long as it isn't a fixed one the landlord won't care either.

Pardon my ignorance though but does the extension cable go from the new master socket to the modem or from the modem to the router, I've seen conflicting comments on this elsewhere and was just wondering as having the modem in close proximity to the hall socket would be problematic, if both modem and router were in the lounge that be no problem.

Thanks again.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Sep-12 11:50:22
Print Post

The data extension goes from socket to modem. Even if engineer arrives and does not provide the kit, you can buy one for a tenner or so and DIY the job with no problem.

The cable between modem and router is just a plain old ethernet cable. Though some suggest magical properties on it.

Standard User filopastry
(member) Fri 14-Sep-12 12:48:51
Print Post

Many thanks for all your help
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Sep-12 13:06:38
Print Post

The pro+ cable at http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/index.php?...

should do very nicely and easy to remove if you dont get given the Openreach kit.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Sep-12 18:15:04
Print Post

a data extension can be run (if ordered via ISP)

Openreach are leaning towards the installing engineers doing a 'home wiring solution' on ALL FTTC installs, even if not raised by the CP on order wink

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Sep-12 18:17:21
Print Post

Thanks, yes I'd have no issue with a "temporary" cable between the hall and lounge, as long as it isn't a fixed one the landlord won't care either.

The installer will love you for that, get them to fit the NTE and filter on the existing junction behind the door, and get them to make up as many meters of data extension kit as comfortably required to get the feed to the new modem in the lounge.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to