Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User matty_hunt
(member) Mon 17-Sep-12 11:12:09
Print Post

Changing Router

[link to this post]

Hi. I have recently changed ISP from Plusnet to Talk Talk but my internet has taken a hit. I can now no longer get a wireless signal in rooms I did before. I assume this is down to the [censored] router that Talk Talk supplied. Can I go back to using the Plusnet supplied router with the Talk Talk connection? If so, how would I go about this?
Many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Sep-12 11:17:51
Print Post

Re: Changing Router

[re: matty_hunt] [link to this post]

Re-use the old Plusnet router as a wireless access point, by turning off the DHCP server in the plusnet router, and ensuring the routers IP address does not clash on the TalkTalk routers LAN.

Then connect it to the Talktalk router via an ethernet cable and viola you can place the Plusnet router in the optimal location to cover your house.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User matty_hunt
(member) Mon 17-Sep-12 11:22:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Nice. Thanks very much.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Sep-12 11:55:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by matty_hunt:
Hi. I have recently changed ISP from Plusnet to Talk Talk but my internet has taken a hit. I can now no longer get a wireless signal in rooms I did before. I assume this is down to the [censored] router that Talk Talk supplied. Can I go back to using the Plusnet supplied router with the Talk Talk connection? If so, how would I go about this?
Many thanks

If the router is a Plusnet branded TG585v7 then you can update it with generic firmware. I have done it with PN branded TG585v7 routers and they can now be used with most ISP's on ADSL MAX and ADSL1/2/2+ (both 21CN WBC and partial/full LLU) connections.
Standard User matty_hunt
(member) Mon 17-Sep-12 12:07:43
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thanks for that info. I will search the net for the firmware unless you can point me in the right direction.
Cheers
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Sep-12 12:18:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by matty_hunt:
Thanks for that info. I will search the net for the firmware unless you can point me in the right direction.
Cheers

http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=8359 - at your own risk of course smile
Standard User matty_hunt
(member) Mon 17-Sep-12 12:24:29
Print Post

Thank you. I shall have a play.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Sep-12 12:47:11
Print Post

One thing that I did have to do after a firmware update was to clear the browser cache on a XP/IE8 machine that had previously been connected to a PN TG585v7. This enabled the router's GUI to display properly - at first I thought the generic firmware hadn't installed properly confused

Edit: If you do successfully update with 8.2.6.5 generic you may find that, by default, both the firewall and wireless encryption will be disabled initially.

Edited by 4M2 (Mon 17-Sep-12 13:10:29)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Tue 18-Sep-12 00:14:28
Print Post

I would think that the 585v7 Plusnet router would work without the firmware being changed. No harm in trying. Just make sure that it has your Talk Talk userid and password. The 585v7 is not a Wireless 'N' router.

To update, you need the firmware and the firmware updating tool. IIRC there is a link to the generic firmware in this forum and you can get the uodating tool from the Plusnet website.

Michael Chare
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Sep-12 01:15:26
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Yes, if it's like this https://www.plus.net/support/hardware/thomson585web.pdf - I'm not so sure if it's possible with PN branded firmware though?

Edited by 4M2 (Tue 18-Sep-12 01:22:18)

Print Thread

Jump to