Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gilesp
(learned) Fri 21-Sep-12 08:07:20
Print Post

Worth going to LLU ISP?

[link to this post]

I've got a choice of BT wholesale, Sky/EasyNet or TalkTalk at my local exchange (SWUWN) and have been procrastinating about changing ISPs for too long.

Currently on BTwholesale product (from O2) hemorrhaging money and looking to change ISP regardless. Line is moderately long, stats below.

Exchange has recently gone over to 21CN according to Samknows, but my box is still connected using vanilla ADSL1.

Would it be worth the risk of moving phone and BB to someone like Sky for a modest cost saving, compared to staying on a BTwholesale product (say from Plusnet for example)?

Am I likely to see any benefit in Synch Speed or reduction in peak-time congestion (it's pretty bad here)? We don't really use the phone much (apart from calls to parents!) but understand it's necessity.

Any thoughts anyone?

G

Link Information

Uptime: 31 days, 9:59:38
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3.456
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 500,14 / 1,99
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,9 / 18,1
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,5 / 54,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21,0 / 6,5
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 8.685 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4.886 / 23.165.590
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 851 / 19.142
HEC Errors (Up/Down): -51 / 19.142 / 147.967
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Sep-12 08:10:12
Print Post

Re: Worth going to LLU ISP?

[re: gilesp] [link to this post]

Sky should see upstream speed improve and downstream remain around the same.

O2 on BT Wholesale network is normally not a pleasant experience, so if speeds are ok, then plusnet will probably be a better experience, but exchange looks like a Market 1 so the headline plusnet pricing will not apply - most likely.

Sky LLU is generally very good in terms of not having congestion. If it was me, then would pick Sky but the YouView deals on TalkTalk might be tempting as a cheaper avenue to multi channel TV

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Fri 21-Sep-12 09:56:39
Print Post

Are you a SKY TV customer?

This makes a huge difference to the potential costs of their packages.

Either SKY or TT would be a huge improvement from O2 when there is not a Be/O2 LLU presence. This is both in terms of speed and normally cost.

SKY would make you take their fully unbundled voice and broadband (and TT may as well) which can be problematical if you want to move away.

You do, of course, have the option of the full range of BTW based ISPs as well as the TT resellers if you don't want to unbundle your voice line.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Sep-12 13:58:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by gilesp:
Exchange has recently gone over to 21CN according to Samknows, but my box is still connected using vanilla ADSL1.
21CN is irrelevant on O2. O2 is an LLU ISP and in exchanges where they do not have their LLU kit, as yours, they provide BT IPStream only.

You will not benefit from 21CN or LLU except on the upstream; could go to 1.2 Meg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Sep-12 14:30:27
Print Post

I've got a choice of BT wholesale, Sky/EasyNet or TalkTalk at my local exchange (SWUWN) and have been procrastinating about changing ISPs for too long.

Currently on BTwholesale product (from O2) hemorrhaging money and looking to change ISP regardless. Line is moderately long, stats below.

Would it be worth the risk of moving phone and BB to someone like Sky for a modest cost saving, compared to staying on a BTwholesale product (say from Plusnet for example)?

Am I likely to see any benefit in Synch Speed or reduction in peak-time congestion (it's pretty bad here)? We don't really use the phone much (apart from calls to parents!) but understand it's necessity.

Any thoughts anyone?

A TalkTalk reseller may be another option which would be partial LLU, congestion should no longer be an issue, however cost may rule it out...might be worth considering though?

You could possibly get cheap line rental without any contracted call packages from another supplier also, since you don't use the phone very often...
Standard User gilesp
(learned) Fri 21-Sep-12 15:24:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

We're currently not sky customers, have been in the past (way back), but not now. And probably not really interested at the moment either.

The exchange is listed on Samknows as Market 2, though Sky and TalkTalk are fairly recent arrivals (18months or so).

My concern is that if I wander down the village with my wifi-sniffer on the phone, it see's every house in 4 pop up as having a sky wireless router (nobody bothers to change their SSID it seems), on average I'd guess that about half are Bt homehubs, a quater are sky and the rest are TT and other random ones like me.

So assuming that a quarter of the local population are on Sky (maybe that's being generous) have sky got enough capacity at the exchange? cos I'll only find out once I've migrated away from BT, and it's a bit late then.

I've had phone conversations with operators at both Sky and Plusnet (for a cheaper BTW product), trying to see both options, however nobody is willing to suggest things will be better if I sign up with them, they give a boilerplate spiele about connection speed and refuse to comment further. Most frustrating, albeit somewhat understandable.
Standard User gilesp
(learned) Fri 21-Sep-12 15:29:44
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I've just put an enquiry on Vivaciti's forums, exploring that avenue as well - thanks for the tip tho
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Sep-12 15:56:14
Print Post

I've just put an enquiry on Vivaciti's forums, exploring that avenue as well - thanks for the tip tho

If price is an overriding factor then Plusnet 21CN WBC (with a "pro" add-on) might be your best bet since you are on a Market 2 exchange (low cost area)...

I have partial LLU with a TT reseller (xilo/uno) and can honestly say, from personal experience, that I never suffer with throughput slow downs due to congestion, although the cost of the service is relatively high.

Vivaciti also have a very good reputation on these forums, but I've had no personal experience of their service smile
Standard User gilesp
(learned) Sun 14-Oct-12 23:38:57
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Just to round this thread off:

I ended up signing up with Talk Talk for a phone and broadband package, on the principle that whilst their callcentre support has has some stick in the past, online support is better, and they're likely to be less well subscribed as sky, yet offer a comparable cost/service.

Currently up and running with no issues (got yet another router to mess around with) connected at 3101kbps and 12db SNR, Line attenuation is reported at 53db (previously 54db)- hopefully I can trade off some of the noise margin for a quicker synch once the router stabilizes.

Can't comment on congestion yet as the system only went live at the weekend.

G
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-12 00:47:31
Print Post

What is your up sync speed?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to