Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jonpaul
(newbie) Sun 23-Sep-12 22:16:42
Print Post

Speed dropped suddenly

[link to this post]

Hi, need some help please.

To start at the begining I have suffered from a noisy phone line for a couple of years but lately it has been getting quite bad. A couple of weeks ago my adsl2+ dropped from around 2mbps to around 0.22, this prompted me to get BT round and they fitted a new master socket telling me there was a bad connection in the old one. My phone line is now much clearer although not perfect.
The problem is that I am still getting such poor speeds. I have now replaced the router and the microfilters but dont know what else to do.

These are the router stats.

old router :-
upstream d/stream
link rate 283kbps 888kbps
line attenuation 54db 25.5db
noise margin 14.6db 12.5db

old router plugged in to test socket :-
upstream d/stream
link rate 285kbps 888kbps
line attenuation 53.5db 25.5db
noise margin 30.2db 14.5db

new router :-
upstream d/stream
line attenuation 47db 27.6db
noise margin 5db 7.6db

new router plugged in to test socket
upstream d/stream
line attenuation 47db 27.4db
noise margin 5.9db 10.1db

Any ideas what could be wrong? My ISP didint seem to be able to tell me much when I spoke to them the other day other than raising a fault with BT that would cost me money if it was a fault at my end.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Sep-12 22:44:54
Print Post

Re: Speed dropped suddenly

[re: jonpaul] [link to this post]

The NMs have certainly gone down to reasonable levels with the new router & filter.
upstream d/stream
line attenuation 47db 27.4db
noise margin 5.9db 10.1db
The headings seem reversed. Is that right?

What ISP & package? Please post results from http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ ; the words only will do.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Sep-12 22:56:15
Print Post

Four sets of readings and exactly the same speeds? Who is the ISP? As the suggestion seems to be they have you on a fixed speed system, hence while data for attenuation and noise margin is changing you are seeing no benefits

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jonpaul
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-12 07:54:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi, those figures are in the correct order.

this is the result from the BT test

download mbps 0.25
upload mbps 0.63
ping latency 46.25

ISP is IDNET and package is Home Plus

I fitted the new router yesterday (Sunday), does it take time for speeds to readjust?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Sep-12 08:36:51
Print Post

Was there no IP Profile or configured throughtput displayed?

The modem itself has adapted already, giving same downstream speed of 888Kbps, BUT this was previously very low for the attenuation, where we would expect a connection of more like 4 Mbps

Looks very like your ADSL2+ is on a banded sync profile and it needs IDNet to reset this, and allow the hardware to fully rate adapt and find the best speeds once more.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jonpaul
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-12 10:06:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry didnt notice that I had run the speedtest by mistake.

These are the diagnostic results:-

FAQ

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
0.22 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.25 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.22 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
0.77 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.77Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Sep-12 10:10:51
Print Post

Aha upstream and downstream are the other way around.

Given the sync speed of 283Kbps then everything looks good, it is just why is the sync so low for that line. The ISP needs to look at the line history and start doing stuff.

Standard User jonpaul
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-12 10:23:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My appologies, I truly did believe that I had posted the stats in the correct order.

Do you think that it is a problem with BT or my ISP rather than my equipment or internal wiring?

Just to clarify that I have a brand new master socket, brand new router and filters and tests were done using the test socket within the master socket.

I just need to be sure as my ISP will want to involve BT/Openreach.

Thanks
Standard User lelboy
(member) Mon 24-Sep-12 10:31:35
Print Post

Hi, Slightly confused. Are you saying that you've suffered with a noisy phone line for a very long time, and if so, have you attempted to have that fixed first? If you have a line fault, then thinking about BB connection seems a bit premature until you get a quiet line..
Standard User jonpaul
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-12 10:40:44
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lelboy:
Hi, Slightly confused. Are you saying that you've suffered with a noisy phone line for a very long time, and if so, have you attempted to have that fixed first? If you have a line fault, then thinking about BB connection seems a bit premature until you get a quiet line..

Hi, yes line was noisy for a couple of years but recently got very bad. Then when my speeds dropped I got BTengineer out and they fitted a new master socket. BT engineer told me that my internet connection was running about a 1/5th of what it should be. The line is now much clearer than before.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to