Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User samlcampbell
(regular) Tue 25-Sep-12 22:57:44
Print Post

amazing speed during bt line fault

[link to this post]

Today I had no dialtone nor could I get incoming calls. I reported the fault to BT automated system and had an announcement put on the line. Later the dialtone returned but the announcement remains. I tried to see if my internet connection would work, expecting a degraded service if any. Instead a speedtest gave me the highest result ever around 3917 down 883 up. (Normally 2500 and 660.) Just repeated the test with similar results. Any ideas what is going on, or better still how to keep the speed once the phone is working again?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Sep-12 23:02:21
Print Post

Re: amazing speed during bt line fault

[re: samlcampbell] [link to this post]

What are your router stats? These are of paramount importance in analysing line speeds, not speedtests.

What ISP?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Sep-12 23:26:05
Print Post

You say dial tone is back already, could it be that the reported fault, before it finally worsened, and lost dial tone, had been giving poor speeds any way ? Maybe speed will stay....

Have you tried dialling #21# this would clear a divert, so may clear the OOS message also ??

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Tue 25-Sep-12 23:38:03
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

stats;
connection speed 4395 down 983 up.
line attenuation 55.0db 30db
noise margin 5.20db 7.0db

I have not tried to remove the OOS message yet.
if this link works you can see the improvement.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/user/showspeedgraph/id...

I am with ADSL24
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Sep-12 23:43:12
Print Post

That link wont work, as it is only the base image not the one with your points plotted on it

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Sep-12 23:44:03
Print Post

I'd suggest that the line was not performing as well as could be expected previously, seeing stats from before would help to confirm

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Sep-12 23:51:19
Print Post

You are getting correct speed for line now. Whether you were before cannot be said w/out router stats for then.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
(regular) Tue 25-Sep-12 23:59:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

i don't have any previous stats my only recollection is that the noise margin was a lot different from today's.

Also I am 4km from the exchange.
Will wait to see what happens when the line is "fixed" , maybe I will ask them to leave it broken.
  Print Thread

Jump to