Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Oct-12 16:55:51
Print Post

Downstream Attenuation increased a lot!

[link to this post]

Got back from holiday Sunday, I used to have a 61DB downstream attenuation I notice that has now increased to 70DB!!!!

This is now having a direct impact on speed instead of the 3500/700kbps I was getting I now get a measly 775/480mbps. Last night my connection was flaking out completely and is really unstable, I actually plugged in the old HGV2700 2wire which I know is good on long lines and even that was losing connection every now and then, showing the maximum reading of 63DB downstream att.

I get Fibre on the 25th of this month, but with this issue I want to try resolving it first, Iím with Xilo and have noticed that there is some background interference on the voice side of the line. BT are due out tomorrow to take a look at the line, any ideas on what could of caused this massive increase in attenuation? Is there anything I could say to the BT guy to avoid the £99+VAT charge Sky have threatened if itís not at BTís end. Iíve tried two phones and both have that background interference.

I've tried the original filtered faceplate, 2 other filters in the test socket, 3 routers (2wire HGV2700, DG834GT and DGN2000), also tried 2 phones to test the voice side of the line. Nothing resolves the problem of poor voice quality and very poor attenuation. Could BT have changed my connection at the local cab without me knowing, putting me on a worse connection? I've the cable coming into the house direct at ground level (no grey box - not a new house) to the single master socket, no other sockets are used in the property.

Iím wifi tethering my phone now just to connect to the internet, which incidentally although latency isnít as good, speed is better than my ADSL connection.

Regards,

Ben Bird

Xilo <--- The dog's danglies!
3km from Exchange
Downstream Att 61DB.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by benbird7 (Tue 16-Oct-12 16:59:34)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Oct-12 17:08:29
Print Post

Re: Downstream Attenuation increased a lot!

[re: benbird7] [link to this post]

if the noise is present when no ADSL kit plugged in and using the test socket then no worries about charge.

Similar with broadband, but the what a line is meant to achieve is very subjective, usually lines over 60dB tend to be assumed as lucky to get anything.

Was the old street cabinet given a new shell as part of the upgrades? This may have disturbed your line, or some other fault such as flooding is causing issues.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:55:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No a new cab was installed next to existing one, will see what he says tomorrow, still no connection tried putting snr on router to 200% still not seeing a signal, but this time two weeks ago and for the past two years, I've had around a 3mb connection. Weird.

Regards,

Ben Bird

3km from Exchange
Downstream Att 61DB.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 17-Oct-12 09:48:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by benbird7:
Got back from holiday Sunday, I used to have a 61DB downstream attenuation I notice that has now increased to 70DB!!!!

Yes you are right going from 61DB to 70DB is a large change, 900dB to be precise.

If you are going to quote figures, why not at least try to get the units correct.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Oct-12 10:24:39
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by benbird7:
If you are going to quote figures, why not at least try to get the units correct.

Was your post helpful or indeed useful - not really. I work for a house builder primarily (not in communications) so stop with your condescending posts.

Plugged the phone in test socket last night without anything else plugged in, definitely crackling and interference going on.

Regards,

Ben Bird

3km from Exchange
Downstream Att 61DB.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by benbird7 (Wed 17-Oct-12 10:29:33)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 17-Oct-12 10:32:23
Print Post

Well remind me not to buy from your employer as you can obviously not read data from one source and copy it elsewhere. What would happen if you got dimensions wrong and order 100 cubic metres of concrete instead of 1 ?

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Oct-12 10:48:37
Print Post

Hey calm down.
You have been using this site long enough to know we try to be tolerant.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Oct-12 11:06:26
Print Post

You really are pedantic, let alone annoying.

MrSaffron knew exactly what I meant. Just seems you stick your oar in to pick up on faults others make.

Can you please stick to the topic in hand, instead of picking faults with others - maybe too much time on your hands?

You could clearly see from MrSaffron's response he was not confused by this small error in DB or dB...

Mental Human - Completely.

Regards,

Ben Bird

3km from Exchange
Downstream Att 61DB.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by benbird7 (Wed 17-Oct-12 11:15:17)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 17-Oct-12 11:18:54
Print Post

I replied to EXACTLY what was posted. dB and DB is not a small error but an extremely large one.

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Oct-12 12:01:52
Print Post

Final warning - stop being so belligerent.
We all make typo's, it is not like the posts made here are life and death, or peer review of scientific papers.

A it has to be 100% perfect or I will have a go at people attitude will put off those who are unsure from posting at all, as the perceived attacks will frighten them off. Nothing wrong with a polite are you sure you don't mean dB and not DB when there is scope for actual confusion is fine, just like most people manage when there is confusion of b and B

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to