Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cnankin
(newbie) Wed 31-Oct-12 09:38:26
Print Post

Moving to Brazil

[link to this post]

I am moving to Brazil where their 4G rollout is promised for April next year on 2600mhz. I am struggling to find a phone/tablet/laptop with this frequency. What is the best/easiest/most cost effective way to be prepared in order to be able to have 4G mobile access via usb modem/connect cards/dongles?

Assuming they pull it off 4G could be important to have as their 3G is very slow and with some providers is slower than our 2G. I will take my unlocked Galaxy Ace with quadband and tethering capability, but that will only give me 3G.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 31-Oct-12 10:39:36
Print Post

Re: Moving to Brazil

[re: cnankin] [link to this post]

Samsung S3 LTE and Note II LTE off the top of my head.

NOTE: Many phones have multiple variants, eg. 3G and 4G LTE models, and then the LTE model may have different versions for the different networks.

Personally I'd opt for a mifi device, and an external battery pack to extend its mobile life, then you can pick and choose the best phones based on other features like screen/apps etc

LTE while more advanced in other countries is still very much a catch up game for the handset manufacturers, i.e. while UK is late we are still only just seeing the handsets appear anywhere in the world.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cnankin
(newbie) Thu 01-Nov-12 15:54:14
Print Post

Re: Moving to Brazil

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So with a mifi like the E398 I can set up my office on the move - phone and laptop/s.

with a usb modem like the E392 I can access with the laptop. If I want a wifi zone i can stick it in a portable modem to get same effect as the E398.

if 4G too expensive/unavailable I can just tether the laptop off my 3G phone which has tethering function

with 3G i should be ok for voip calls at average Brazilian 3G speeds

many thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to