Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User snakieuk
(newbie) Fri 02-Nov-12 07:13:39
Print Post

Non-BT router configuration

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have BT Total Broadband and have a non-BT router, Linksys X3000. I have configured my router and able to access websites in general, however, I notice that when I access certain websites that requires me to log in with my password, they keep saying "the session has expired".

This problem only occurs if I use my own Linksys router. BT router works fine.

I have checked all the settings on the Linksys router is correct. Also, I turned off the firewall just to check, but I still have this "session has expired" problem.

Is there something I have missed? Is it to do with the way the BT required to encapsulate its data? I saw a post somewhere about BT-specific issue but not sure if that actually applies to me.

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Nov-12 08:51:23
Print Post

Re: Non-BT router configuration

[re: snakieuk] [link to this post]

Probably an MTU issue, what is it set to on the router?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User snakieuk
(newbie) Fri 02-Nov-12 17:00:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

It's currently set to auto (1492).

Joe

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-12 19:10:07
Print Post

Try 1500 ....

Standard User flippery
(member) Fri 02-Nov-12 19:43:03
Print Post

This may have something to do with problem.. Not exactly same but linked to HTTPS

Never again...
I've been a Linksys fan since day one, (BEFSR-41) From now on, I'm going to their competitors. I just got off the phone with Cisco Tech support only to learn they will not fix the HTTPS problems caused by their expired security certificate. It expired...get this...in 1970! That's right, every Linksys Router ever made has had the same security certificate installed in it and it expired 41 years ago!

Apparently, a recent update to Win7/IE has beefed up security so that sites with invalid or expired certificates will no longer load. (You get the "Site cannot be displayed" error page) According to Microsoft "there is no workaround in Win7 with IE8 or 9.

Edited by flippery (Fri 02-Nov-12 19:44:43)

Standard User snakieuk
(newbie) Fri 02-Nov-12 20:44:09
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the advice. I tried the MTU suggestion but it didn't make a difference.

However, I think I've just found a solution.

There might be a design flaw on Cisco's part on the X3000 router. The router is able to block cookies, ActiveX and proxy etc if I wanted to. Obviously I did not select any of them because I don't want anything to be blocked.

I have just gone back and I thought I put a tick on all of them and see whether they will show me anything on the firewall log. Bang, all the websites work fine now. It seems to me that even though the GUI says ticking the box means blocking that particular traffic, by ticking the box the router would allow traffic instead.

A silly design flaw made by a world-class company. Oh well, at least it's working fine now.

Edited by snakieuk (Fri 02-Nov-12 20:45:08)

Print Thread

Jump to