Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MM0TJR
(newbie) Wed 07-Nov-12 11:22:13
Print Post

Exchange visit

[link to this post]

I went by our local (rural scotland) exchange the other day and noticed the door swinging open in the breeze. I thought I would be a good citizen and close it, but I had a nosey around the exchange first.
I took some snaps
http://www.triscom.co.uk/insideSDYexchg/index.html
any comments on what the stuff is would be very interesting, from knowledgable folks.
sorry the pics are a bit [censored]. mobile phone camera.

before anybody gets on their high horse, I am fully aware that what I did was illegal and dangerous etc but I know that i didnt do any damage, my visit was purely out of technical interest, and if I hadnt gone by & closed the door then the weather would have damaged the eqpt.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 07-Nov-12 11:34:51
Print Post

Re: Exchange visit

[re: MM0TJR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MM0TJR:
I am fully aware that what I did was illegal and dangerous etc
Good job you didn't post any personally identifiable data then, Tris.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 07-Nov-12 12:24:43
Print Post

I hope that you also called BT to report it.

Don't think they would be too worried if you had seen it open, looked inside and shouted to see if anyone was there, or done a quick check to make sure someone was not laying injured on the floor then closed the door and called to report it.

What you may not have realised is that you could well have been captured on the CCTV that is installed in some remote exchanges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MM0TJR
(newbie) Wed 07-Nov-12 13:17:49
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

exactly as I thought
both quite blatantly missing the point. I have nothing to hide whatsoever. If only BT did care enough to 1) come after me for trespassing, 2) keep the door locked 3) keep the building in decent repair then we would be enjoying far better service from them than we do.
CCTV!? do you think I came down in the last shower of rain?

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to apologise personally to the person who is responsible for this telephone exchange, and they might also be able to answer a lot of my questions during the same phone call.

who am I going to call to inform of an open door (and incidentally a door which has been substantially buggerred for about 5 years)? if the number starts with anything but 01, forget it.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 07-Nov-12 13:31:23
Print Post

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/tellu...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User MM0TJR
(newbie) Wed 07-Nov-12 13:31:53
Print Post

more to the point, is that a picture of a DSLAM?

how does a DSLAM connect to the local loops?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 07-Nov-12 13:33:26
Print Post

It's probably something to do with telephones and broadband.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Nov-12 14:04:39
Print Post

Best number is 0800 0232023 and usually there is a contact plate outside the building too.
There was a time when exchange locations were considered secret and did not appear on maps.

If the door is seen ajar again then give that number a call and also maybe the police, you might be stumbling upon a gang of metal thieves.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kitcat
(member) Wed 07-Nov-12 14:36:00
Print Post

It is clearly a DSLAM, A websearch indicates that BT Wholesale uses this type of kit.Link

There are several regulars on here that appear to work for BT, if you post the name of the exchange I'm sure they will report it for you!. Maybe the door will then get fixed! It may even stop some Oik from pinching the equipment or the rain messing your service up.

Edited by kitcat (Wed 07-Nov-12 14:39:11)

Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Nov-12 20:43:39
Print Post

Ignore them, their glasses are usually half empty, I'd of done the same!

CCTV or not, cheers for taking a look, I find it interesting too! wink Just think you could of saved the whole village a heck of a lot of downtime if some ASBO Teen got in there with fireworks at this time of the year!

I know rural Scotland probably isn't likely, maybe a sheep with a taste for wiring? laugh

Edited by benbird7 (Wed 07-Nov-12 20:47:39)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to