Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MM0TJR
(newbie) Wed 07-Nov-12 18:37:09
Print Post

Changed to Business Broadband but nothing has happened

[link to this post]

As part of a new project, we've gone for BT Business Broadband on what was a standard consumer broadband service.
I know that this change has "taken place", because the service went down last night, and after a couple of hours wrangling with BT they advised us of updated username & password to put into the modem.
however
I note that there has been no change in the uplink/downlink speeds.
the reason that we changed was to get a better uplink. I believe that consumer uplinks are 448kbps and business uplinks are set to 880kbps or something? I wasnt expecting to get 880 but I was expecting better than the 300kbps we were getting before.
I was expeccting the modem status page to tell me different things about the connection (on the standard service before, it said "Connected. Downstream 4000kbps Upstream 448kbps. these look too neat for real values, so I guessed that it was the theoretical maxima. I expected them to change to "8000 downstream 832 upstream")
here are the
stats from my modemrouter

Ill phone BT in the morning.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Nov-12 19:24:29
Print Post

Re: Changed to Business Broadband but nothing has happened

[re: MM0TJR] [link to this post]

4000Kbps is a bit slow for 43dB attenuation, I can manage 6.5 to 7 Meg, so check at the test socket whether things improve.

As for whether speeds will be better, not pretty sure that BT Business services on exchanges that dont have ADSL2+ do not actually make use of the Max Premium extra upstream speed.

Why did you think the downstream speed would double to 8000?

Andrew

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Nov-12 19:25:23
Print Post

Your downstream will stay the same, but your upstream should change to 832 (or near) looking at those stats you are still on a residential connection.
Is there no ADSL2+ at your exchange?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Nov-12 19:26:44
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

A good number of the business products on BT Retail services were just the consumer product with different support and VAT added to compensate for the extra billing work

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 07-Nov-12 20:19:16
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
Your downstream will stay the same, but your upstream should change to 832 (or near) looking at those stats you are still on a residential connection.
Is there no ADSL2+ at your exchange?

Why?

ADSL Max - G.DMT with BT Business is only 448k upstream.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Nov-12 20:42:02
Print Post

Would it be worth powering down the router leaving it 5 minutes and reestablishing a sync with the exchange?

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Nov-12 21:46:11
Print Post

You may need to migrate to another ISP (say, Entanet) to get the faster upload.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User MM0TJR
(newbie) Wed 07-Nov-12 22:16:35
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

No ADSL2 at the exchange. I went for BT Business because they *assured* me that it would increase the uplink speed available to the line.
I assume this means that they reprogram the part of the DSLAM that my local drop is connected to, to allow it to negotiate up to 832kbps. (I thought they had said the downllink rate increases to 8000kbps but not too concerned about the download rate)

I had found out previously on this forum that on consumer broadband services the max uplink is 448, and sure enough my modem is telling me that I am "connected at 448kbps". Now of course I never get this in reality, the online speed testers tell me anything from 180k to 300k depending on time of day.
but the fact that the modem tells me "connected at 448k" made me think that this is the result of the handshaking that the modem does with the exchange, and its basically a text message from the DSLAM telling me what sort of connection I am actually paying for.

in migrating to business broadband, a local openreach tech advised me that some unseen department would dial in to the DSLAM and tweak it so that my little part of it would change to a business connection. Now Im not expecting anything amazing but I was expecting the connection information at the modem to change.

I spoke to 3 different UK operators on the "business broadband" team at BT and they all assured me that the uplink would increase. I made sure they knew exactly where I was and what my local excchange was.
Im afraid I wont be surprised to find out that they were all wrong, and in fact our local excchange can only do max uplinks of 448.

how do you know if you have ADSL2+ at the exchange?
our dslam looks like this. Is it ADSL2?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Nov-12 23:36:42
Print Post

The business packages with BT retail are a lot of the time just the same as the consumer packages just you pay more VAT usually.

The reps that sold you it are probably confused as many exchanges offer ADSL2+ which would be faster, but yours has not had the upgrade yet. The way they suggested 8 Meg too, tells us that they know a lot less than the posters around here

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Nov-12 01:39:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The way they suggested 8 Meg too, tells us that they know a lot less than the posters around here
They could have said "Up to 8 Meg" as is usual for ADSL Max and it was taken as "8 meg", a common misconception. Only last month the OP was asking the true nature of DSL

I thought ADSL Max Premium has a max upload of 832K. If not, I may have been instrumental in misleading OP frown

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to