Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Nov-12 22:02:08
Print Post

Throttled on single threaded downloads.

[link to this post]

Im with Vivaciti on their Obit LLU connection. Been downloading some test files from various locations around the world using a single threaded download and a manager that uses multiple threads.

Single threads seem to max out at 11.5 mbps. Multiple threaded downloads from the same sources max out at 17.1 mbps. Sync is 19 mbps. Is my ISP, router, computer limiting the speed? Not a major problem as the workaround is to use Downthemall on Firefox with 10 threads to max out the connection. Thoughts?

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Fri 16-Nov-12 23:28:41
Print Post

Re: Throttled on single threaded downloads.

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Almost certainly no throttling. Single threaded downloads need to wait for confirmation packets etc every now and then, so there is dead time on the connection. With multithreaded the other threads use the connection during other threads dead time, so no dead time and faster throughput.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Nov-12 01:39:10
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Silly me I have found out why. I updated NIC drivers without realising it changed the TCP Window Scaling back to the XP defaults. Updated this setting using TCPOptimizer and now single threads download at the same as multi threads. smile

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Nov-12 03:56:59
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Glad to know it's resolved. Silly Windows XP
  Print Thread

Jump to