Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mccorqi
(newbie) Sun 25-Nov-12 12:47:33
Print Post

Orange Line Speeds

[link to this post]

HI, new user, so please excuse any obviously vague statements (and be gentle) smile

I have a netgear DGN2200, Orange Homemax which should get me "upto 8Meg".

until recently I have been getting a connection (downstream) of approx. 4Meg (sync?) and 450 up.

over the last couple of weeks this has suddenly gone down to 2500 down and 450 up.

speedtests and the BT speedtester confirm this with 2Mb IP profile and real 1.8Meg download which is cutting it fine for Lovefilm/my work laptop.

I have extracted router stats below (however I'm struggling to rationalise them). note these were whilst connected to the BT master socket (and no phone extensions).

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2464 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 61.0 db 29.0 db
Noise Margin 13.3 db 17.0

I am approx. 2 miles form the exchange (West Calder).

I contacted Orange who refuse to help as the line is within acceptable profile.

I am considering moving provider (TalkTalk and Sky show up as providers at my exchange according to Samknows).

all guidance / explanations appreciated

thanks

Iain
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Nov-12 13:50:09
Print Post

Re: Orange Line Speeds

[re: mccorqi] [link to this post]

You Target NM is being kept too high @ 12 dB probably by Orange. If it were the standard 6 dB you would probably get the speeds you were getting.

You could ask Orange to reduce it or, if your DGN2200 is one of those Broadcom Netgears that can override it, you can reduce it yourself. See: http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/dg834GT_targetsnr.htm

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to