Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User flippery
(member) Mon 26-Nov-12 14:21:42
Print Post

GPO Phone Connection

[link to this post]

My daughter has a problem with broadband connection.

Whilst the router syncs at full speed 12 down and 1 up. The maximum obtained broadband speed is 5 down and 1 up. Sometimes dropping to 0.23 down and 0.02 up.
I believe that the BT input to house is probably via the old GPO style connection as, only a old black twin cable is visible through floorboards. These wires have been attached to a standard extension socket and forward wired to another extension
If the phone and broadband are connected on different extensions, use of phone cuts out broadband.
My initial thoughts are to attach the incoming wires to a new NTE5 master socket { A and B). Reconnect extensions from Iplate using 2 and 5 pins only.
Any thoughts?
Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Mon 26-Nov-12 14:41:10
Print Post

Re: GPO Phone Connection

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Need more information. difficult to diagnose from what you've provided.

1. What are the router stats ie sync speeds, attenuation, snr etc.
2. Is the router losing sync a lot.
3. Can you monitor/take downstream snr readings every few seconds to see if the value jumping all over the place.
4. If possible do a bt speedtest to see bras/ip profile data.
5. How is your daughter connected to the router, ethernet cable/wifi etc.

There will be more questions later, but those details will be required first.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Nov-12 15:23:36
Print Post

This phone - they do have a microfilter on it?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(member) Mon 26-Nov-12 15:37:42
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wanapoo:
Need more information. difficult to diagnose from what you've provided.

1. What are the router stats ie sync speeds, attenuation, snr etc.
2. Is the router losing sync a lot.
3. Can you monitor/take downstream snr readings every few seconds to see if the value jumping all over the place.
4. If possible do a bt speedtest to see bras/ip profile data.
5. How is your daughter connected to the router, ethernet cable/wifi etc.

There will be more questions later, but those details will be required first.

Thanks for reply.

As a brief history, until 2 weeks ago the broadband had been by ethernet from a speedtouch 330 modem. Plusnet had advised that there were regular speed drops and linking the problem to the exchange. I gave her a laptop and Plusnet supplied a new TG582N wireless modem. The laptop is connected by wireless in room next to router. Worked on my network previously at 10.5Mbps download.

1) I do not believe their is a problem with sync and it is 12Mbps down and 1Mbps up
2) The router does not appear to give the Attn and SNR figures as standard.
3) BT Speedtester gave 5.25Mbps on a line 2Mbps - 11Mbps range down and 1Mbbps on a upto 0.83Mbps range Up
The phone and router have their own filter. NB phone only disconnects broadband if on different extensions
My daughter is not technical and other than basics would not want to confuse the situation.
I have sent her another configured router today that does give the Attn and SNR margins as standard.

I have moved the router to the first socket in chain and this is where stats have come from. I have asked her not to switch router off and leave it a few days before retest.
My first priority is to clean up the the phone and extension connections. This is an area that can cause problems and be eliminated. However without a BT master socket installed and reluctance to pay £130 for visit, this is where my question is addressed.

Edited by flippery (Mon 26-Nov-12 15:40:50)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 26-Nov-12 15:46:34
Print Post

If there is not an NTE5 master in place then BT willl normally install one at no charge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Nov-12 17:26:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The charge only arising if you want the extensions connected by them. Once an NTE5 is in place that is a nice easy DIY job though

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flippery
(member) Mon 26-Nov-12 18:10:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
If there is not an NTE5 master in place then BT willl normally install one at no charge.

Sounds good, will give BT a ring.
Assume Line provider and not Broadband provider.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Nov-12 20:11:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by flippery:
until 2 weeks ago the broadband had been by ethernet from a speedtouch 330 modem.
This is a USB modem, not Ethernet.

2) Get the full verbatim router stats from here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#43
3) Please post results verbatim. You have omitted most important figures, IP Profile.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User flippery
(member) Mon 26-Nov-12 20:45:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
until 2 weeks ago the broadband had been by ethernet from a speedtouch 330 modem.
This is a USB modem, not Ethernet.

2) Get the full verbatim router stats from here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#43
3) Please post results verbatim. You have omitted most important figures, IP Profile.

To be honest whether the speedtouch was usb or ethernet is out of the equation. My post clearly stated "until 2 weeks ago". Now a Tg582N from Plusnet via wireless,
My daughter did not supply the IP Profile just the figures shown and is not of major concern.
To be honest I am of the opinion the problem lies with the fact that the 2 BT down wires are directly connected into a standard extension socket, rather than a NTE5 master socket, For this MHC has supplied useful information to follow up

Edited by flippery (Mon 26-Nov-12 20:47:50)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Nov-12 22:29:58
Print Post

My daughter did not supply the IP Profile just the figures shown and is not of major concern.
Then you have no interest in trying to explain why
The maximum obtained broadband speed is 5 down and 1 up. Sometimes dropping to 0.23 down and 0.02 up.
is so much less than
the router syncs at full speed 12 down and 1 up.
You are quite content to prejudge the issue and make assumptions without getting at the facts.

You were the one to introduce the Speedtouch 330 as a red herring.

I was under the impression you came here to ask for our ideas, but you don't really want them.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to