Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MM0TJR
(learned) Tue 27-Nov-12 10:07:18
Print Post

Avanti sat internet

[link to this post]

A group of neighbours in a not-spot have gone for Avanti satellite (Ka) internet.
One house "hosts" the service, the neighbours are able to share it by radio links.
here is a pic of the external installation of the host house.

Inside the house is a white box with "Hughes" written on it. (I assume this is a satellite modem). It is conencted to the dish, and has an ethernet "internet" socket. (8p8c)

I cannot now remember the specific wiring, but there are a couple of PoE adapters & cabling back up to the mast.

The neighbours all have modules on the houses which are identical in appearance to "Gadget C", so I assume that these are little ethernet "mesh" type radios that share/relay the ethernet around the area.

My question is, what are Antenna 1, Gadget A and Gadget B?

Antenna 1 appears to be a VHF whip, and it appears to be connected by RG213 to Gadget B. I cannot see anything in the near area that it might be communicating with, although there is a BT radio mast 10 miles distant which has several VHF whips on it.

Gadget A looks similar to a MikroTik router... (but I cannot see anything in the near area that it might be communicating with)

Just very interested as to how it works.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 27-Nov-12 10:19:21
Print Post

Re: Avanti sat internet

[re: MM0TJR] [link to this post]

A looks like a directional antenna so probably shooting at a client device to provide a point to point link. Unlike B & C it doesn't look thick enough to have the electronics on board but maybe that's my eyesight.

If antenna 1 is connected to gadget B my guess would be that 1 is an omnidirectional antenna for sharing and it's probably on the external antenna port of gadget B providing antenna diversity with B perhaps also doing a point to point link.

A, B and C all seem to be pointing the same way, which is a bit odd.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User MM0TJR
(learned) Tue 27-Nov-12 10:33:23
Print Post

Re: Avanti sat internet

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

All of the neighbours are oriented that way actually, (ie, there are no nearby houses in line with the gable). so it would kinda make sense for everything to be oriented more or less that way (however, the BT radio station I mentioned is more in line with the face of the gable-end.)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to