Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jayteepics
(newbie) Tue 27-Nov-12 20:37:55
Print Post

Shocking download speed

[link to this post]

We have a training event in our local pub this Thursday evening. Just been down and ran a speedtest.net test and got the following :-

Ping 64ms Download speed 0.31 Mbps Upload speed 0.64 Mbps

Got home and got

Ping 75ms Download speed 6.88 Mbps Upload speed 0.35 Mbps

I am on the same exchange we use different ISPs

Anyone have any ideas on this as I've never seen an up speed twice as fast as down?

I have very little control over this situation but if it is something really stupid I think the landlord would appreciate some input. He did say his internet service sucked but this was a shock.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Nov-12 20:40:55
Print Post

Re: Shocking download speed

[re: jayteepics] [link to this post]

It is a pub so maybe lots of other people downloading.
It may also be he has his tills using a dial-up system and they are not filtered causing lots of problems.

And no reason why downstream cannot be slower than upload, downstream speeds are affected more by distance than upstream

Cannot really advise more without the usual attenuation, noise margin and connection speed data.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jayteepics
(newbie) Tue 27-Nov-12 20:48:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for your very prompt reply Mr Saffron. Regarding lots of folks in pub using his connection - he doesn't share his key with the customers. However I have suggested that his kids could have been streaming a movie or somesuch.

He is actually nearer the exchange than me so something seriously upsetting things as I shouldn't be getting 20 X faster down than him.

In the short term it's unlikely I could get the stats you suggested I'm afraid.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 27-Nov-12 21:22:01
Print Post

about the same here. Pub uses Tesco broadband.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Nov-12 18:39:09
Print Post

In my experience, pubs seem to always have a plethora of extension wiring, a point to flat upstairs, one for the PDQ, one in the kitchen, etc,etc. I'd wager that finding the incoming line, and testing again there would find the culprit as the internal wiring.

Looks like you aren't going to be given the chance to do that though ....

Standard User jayteepics
(learned) Wed 28-Nov-12 22:58:41
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
In my experience, pubs seem to always have a plethora of extension wiring, a point to flat upstairs, one for the PDQ, one in the kitchen, etc,etc. I'd wager that finding the incoming line, and testing again there would find the culprit as the internal wiring.

Looks like you aren't going to be given the chance to do that though ....

Zarjaz. Yep the test socket on the incoming line socket was my only idea too in addition ensure that his kids aren't streaming stuff upstairs on the evening. I actually think however that 'just for the exercise' he will agree to this because he obviously knows something has to change / get sorted.

Many thanks
  Print Thread

Jump to