Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ross22sri
(newbie) Sat 01-Dec-12 22:09:26
Print Post

sky bt master socket wiring fault advice

[link to this post]

Hello everyone I am after some advice on a problem I am facing I will explain and hopefully someone can help ! I am in privately rented accommodation . I am a sky customer for tv broadband and phone and line rental . For a while now we have been getting very poor broadband speed to the point where it is becomming unusable . I phoned sky for assistance after doing the usual reset router and change filter routine . After being on the phone with sky for several long attempts we have found that my broadband speed trebles when plugging the router into the bt master test socket indicating either a faulty face plate or faulty master socket or faulty wiring from the other phone point somewhere in the house . Sky say its not down to them bt will charge the earth and my landlord doesn't want to know as the broadband does work its just so slow . Who should sort this . I did think of trying the remove the bell wire from terminal 3 in each phone socket to see if it helps its supposed to reduce interference. Any idears thanks regards Ross.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Dec-12 22:15:38
Print Post

Re: sky bt master socket wiring fault advice

[re: ross22sri] [link to this post]

Lifting the ring wire from pin 3 is the first thing to do

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ross22sri
(newbie) Sat 01-Dec-12 23:01:51
Print Post

Ok done that no difference at all. Any idears i. I know that online speed tests are not that reliable but I get download rate of 5 mbps in the tester socket and 0.32 plugged in to the master but with the cover on . Help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Dec-12 23:21:27
Print Post

What are router stats?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Dec-12 00:23:43
Print Post

router stats when router is in both locations.

Also a photo of the wiring that is on the removable faceplate

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Backpack
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Dec-12 00:57:59
Print Post

If you can live without the extensions then just disconnect them from the back of the faceplate, make a note of which wires connected where so you can pop them back on when you move.

Or get a filtered faceplate.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Dec-12 09:08:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'd say, checking that all the Sky boxes have filters connected to the feed, would be the first thing.

Print Thread

Jump to