Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Moolapie
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-12 12:22:20
Print Post

Very low IP Profile since Line Fault

[link to this post]

Hello,

I've recently had a line fault which completely disabled my land line phone (no dial tone) and would frequently disconnect my router multiple times a day, for about a week.

The line fault has recently been fixed and the phone now works, but unfortunately due to all the disconnections, my connection speed has slowly dropped from around 19mb to 0.283kbps.

I'm wondering what I should do now.

I've been reading a lot online, on various forums, that I should leave my connection stable for 3-5 days before attempting to restart my router to increase my profile. But I've also read that on a ADSL2+ connection, this is not necessary; I should be able to leave my connection off for a few hours (or overnight) to get a re-sync?

The sane part of my brain is saying, just leave the thing connected for 3-5 days; the other part of my brain that wants to play Planetside 2 is saying, restart the router now!

Please help! frown
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 05-Dec-12 12:30:59
Print Post

Re: Very low IP Profile since Line Fault

[re: Moolapie] [link to this post]

If it has been fixed for a couple of days then I would suggest powering off for a few hours. Sometimes a few minutes is enough, but you do not want to keep checking so either overnight or from now until 4:00 pm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Wed 05-Dec-12 12:33:19
Print Post

Complain to your ISP. Plusnet for example keep records of previous connection speeds and would do something in this senario.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Moolapie
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-12 12:45:24
Print Post

Ok thanks, I will try and leave the router off until 4:00pm.

I will probably contact my ISP tonight if the problem persists, the only reason I haven't done this yet is because I'm with Orange, and I loathe trying to communicate problems with them to be honest.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Dec-12 14:40:46
Print Post

Similar issue with Orange: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/freeserve/f/4185581...

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Moolapie
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-12 16:19:21
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Welp, reconnected after leaving the router off for 3 hours. No change in speed at all, still stuck at:

283kbps Down
440kbps Up

Noise Margin
32.3 dB Up
36.9 dB Down

Line Attenuation
4.0 dB
5.5 dB

Looks like I'll have to talk to Orange tonight. Does anyone have any tips for getting through to 2nd line support?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Dec-12 17:12:45
Print Post

Write a formal complaint letter as phone CS have no BB nous at all.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Moolapie
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-12 17:19:22
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I had been thinking of writing a complaint, is there an e-mail address I can send one too or would I need to post it?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Dec-12 18:09:32
Print Post

Letter is better. See Orange website Contact Us for addys.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Dec-12 21:49:23
Print Post

Looks like the Wholesale systems may have banded your connection, and it needs ISP to request this to be reset, should be pretty obvious is they look at any historical data, or even from the current stats you have posted.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to