Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mpknell
(newbie) Fri 07-Dec-12 11:14:22
Print Post

Help with Low speed profile

[link to this post]

Hi all

A looooog time ago I used to come to this forum all the time but since having cable I only read the news headlines.

I know there are some very technically cleaver people here so would be grateful of some help. I am trying to help a friend who is complaining of low speeds. They had their modem connected in a converted loft which I moved down to the master socket and installed an i-plate. With my limited DSL knowledge I confidently said “You should see at least some small increase in speed over the next two weeks” - Well, I was wrong frown

Looking at the modem they are getting the following values:

Values displayed as down / up

Data rate(Kbps): 1152Kb / 288Kb
Noise Margin: 9 / 19
Output power(dBm): 123 / 182
Attenuation(dB): 54 / 31

When I enter those values in various online calculators I see suggested speeds of up to 4 Mbps. Now I can guess not every line would get the suggested speeds but 1152k is way out.

The really frustrating thing is they are connected to the Sevington exchange near Ashford, Kent that has no current plans for fibre. 300 meters down the road is a fibre cabinet coming from the Ashford exchange so houses around are getting fibre but they can't because they are connected to a different exchange.

Even if they could get an extra megabyte it would make a difference to them and I thought the i-plate might help with that. I am probably missing something obvious here or perhaps the levels are so bad they are lucky to get 1152k. Any suggestions or advice would be gratefully received.

Best regards
Mark.

Edited by mpknell (Fri 07-Dec-12 11:15:50)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 07-Dec-12 12:08:48
Print Post

Re: Help with Low speed profile

[re: mpknell] [link to this post]

Was the speed the same before you moved it? I would guess that it was.

1152/288 is a fixed 1Mb service ... and there is only one way to increase the speed. Call the ISP and move to ADSLMax 2+ will not offer any benefits due to line attenuation.

With luck you might get another 300 to 400 kbps from it. Just make sure that all the wiring is neat, no excess extensions, decent filter, the phone line is away from fridges, heating pumps &c.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Fri 07-Dec-12 12:12:42)

Standard User mpknell
(newbie) Fri 07-Dec-12 12:26:02
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi MHC

Yes the speed was the same before I moved it. I will ask them to contact the ISP right away and request the move to ADSLMAX 2+

Thanks for your advice. I will report back once I have more info.

Best regards
Mark.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 07-Dec-12 12:46:07
Print Post

have a good luck at the wiring, the noise margin is too low for the attenuation & speed so there may be an issue. What are the stats in the test socket ? does the incoming line go to the master socket without any other connections on the way (eg junction box in the loft etc)

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 07-Dec-12 12:54:52
Print Post

Sorry there is a comma missing. It should have said ADSLMax, 2+ will not ...

ADSLMax and ADSL2+ are different products. Max will give UPTO 8Mbps and 2+ 20Mbps but on that line given te 54dB attenuation 2+ will probably give a throughput lower that Max.

So, get them to move to Max - if the line proves stable with a 6dB margin it may move to 3dB which will give some additional speed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to