Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User smeader88
(newbie) Fri 07-Dec-12 20:45:30
Print Post

EE Bright Box VPN Issues

[link to this post]

Hi there, I have been having problems with using VPN on my EE (formerly Orange) broadband. When I try to connect to work using my VPN software, although the connection appears to be successful I can then not ping any of the DNS servers or Domain controllers at the main office and therefore not do any work!! Stranger still, when i disconnect from the VPN connection the internet does then not work. The only way to get the internet working again is to reboot my router (Bright Box). Looking on other forums this looks to be a problem with this specific router, also I have discovered that the problem only occurs when connected via wireless. If I am connected via an ethernet cable I can VPN in to work with no problems.

I have tried contacting EE but they say they do not support VPN so cannot assist.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Dec-12 18:55:29
Print Post

Re: EE Bright Box VPN Issues

[re: smeader88] [link to this post]

Report it as a broken router and ask for a new one. Just say that the internet intermittantly stops and you have to turn off the router for 2hrs before it starts working again and the router gets very Hot...

IanD
Standard User matt555
(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 19:30:32
Print Post

Hi,

I actually registered with this forum simply to post this response as I share in your frustration with EE Technical Support. If by now you have not found a solution to the problem, I have found a way to get the VPN working by editing a simple setting on the brightbox router.

1) Log in to the router at 192.168.1.1 and enter your username (admin) and password (supplied by EE).
2) Go to advanced set-up and press accept.
3) Click on Firewall and then Intrusion Detection.
4) At the bottom, under Intrusion Detection Feature, click disable.
5) Save settings.

The problem is that the intrusion detection feature ignores ping requests from outside servers. This prevents VPN tunnelling as the protocols (PPTP, IPSec, SSTP etc) require co-operation between the destination server and your router.

Edit: It may be you also need to disable the SPI and Anti-Dos firewall protection on the Intrusion Detection page too. I simpy disabled both for a guaranteed fix but you may want to try the above first before trying this option.

I hope this helps!!!

Edited by matt555 (Mon 11-Feb-13 19:36:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(member) Mon 11-Feb-13 20:54:23
Print Post

[re: matt555] [link to this post]

As you can confidently run around all the configuration pages of this router would you mind telling me if your router:
1. Issues LAN IPs in sequential order starting from 192.168.1.2
2. Whether there are different entries other than 192.168.1.1 for the DNS settings and the Gateway
3. If you wanted to substitute the Bright Box for another router, what would be the necessary settings in the alternative router.

My apologies for hijacking this thread onto another subject, but your indulgence would be appreciated.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Feb-13 21:50:38
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

1. No, they are seemingly random.
  2. Those are the values the PCs usually see. The router's Gateway is 213.1.112.200 and it gets the DNSs from Orange.
  3. Broadband Username ***************
    Broadband Password ***************
    Protocol PPPoA
    VPI/VCI 0/ 38
    Encapsulation VC MUX
    Internet IP Address Dynamic
    DNS IP Address Obtain from ISP
    MTU 1500

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Mon 11-Feb-13 22:08:49
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
  1. No, they are seemingly random.
  2. Those are the values the PCs usually see. The router's Gateway is 213.1.112.200 and it gets the DNSs from Orange.
  3. Broadband Username ***************
    Broadband Password ***************
    Protocol PPPoA
    VPI/VCI 0/ 38
    Encapsulation VC MUX
    Internet IP Address Dynamic
    DNS IP Address Obtain from ISP
    MTU 1500

Your response is very much appreciated. My gateway is currently shown as 192.168.1.1 in the brightbox; I wonder why yours should be different? I just have a gut feeling that my router has a fault and wanted to try a know good router. EE have had a remote session onmy router and gave it a clean bill of health.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Feb-13 22:35:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
My gateway is currently shown as 192.168.1.1 in the brightbox; I wonder why yours should be different?
I never touched mine; it was set by Orange upon connection. 192.168.1.1 seems recursive; router is pointing at router frown.

The Gateway is always Step 2 of any tracert. See latest thread about games in EE/Orange forum here of mine & OP's tracerts.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User matt555
(newbie) Tue 12-Feb-13 14:26:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
As you can confidently run around all the configuration pages of this router would you mind telling me if your router:
1. Issues LAN IPs in sequential order starting from 192.168.1.2
2. Whether there are different entries other than 192.168.1.1 for the DNS settings and the Gateway
3. If you wanted to substitute the Bright Box for another router, what would be the necessary settings in the alternative router.

My apologies for hijacking this thread onto another subject, but your indulgence would be appreciated.

No problem - I know someone has already answered but I shall go ahead anyway.

1. Nope, gateway is 192.168.1.1 and addresses of the form 192.168.1.x are designated randomly.
2. Nope, DNS settings are set to obtain from ISP so I left that field blank. The gateway remains 192.168.1.1.
3. Necessary settings would be your broadband username/password, beyond this most routers default adsl settings would be sufficient. (The settings for encapsulation and protocl etc are normally correct by default but I gather have been posted above by another user.

Edited by matt555 (Tue 12-Feb-13 14:27:18)

Standard User Itneverjustworks
(newbie) Thu 25-Apr-13 21:09:45
Print Post

I could not resolve the actual issue reported by smeader88. Does anybody have a working solution for establishing a VPN connection from a wireless device with ee's BrightBox router?

As reported in the initial post, everything works fine from a wired connection, but any attempts on the wifi interface will essentially shut down the router's wifi, and require power cycling the router to recover.

This used to work fine on the old LiveBox router and still does just work when I plug it back, which I am considering doing permanently; I just can't believe VPN over wifi isn't supported on the BrightBox...
Standard User rojam60
(newbie) Fri 21-Jun-13 17:11:51
Print Post

[re: Itneverjustworks] [link to this post]

Hello,

I can't get my VPN to work properly even with a wired connection! It appears to be connected, but I can't ping any devices or RDP to any machines. EE technical support can't help because they don't support VPNs!! I've disabled the firewall on the Bright Box but am still having no success.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to