Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User technoob
(newbie) Thu 13-Dec-12 15:03:35
Print Post

Changing Number ADSL Line

[link to this post]

Hi all,
I am living in Spain and as such this question may not be appropriate in this forum, but I would like to know what is involved technically in changing a fixed line number on an existing ADSL line. I am currently with a provider (ya.com now technically orange.es) and have been told to get a better deal with orange.es I will have to change telephone number. I currently have a similar setup to the one I am moving to i.e. 20mb down 1mb up and all calls via VOIP. The line was installed by telefonica (now movistar and effectively the equivalent of BT in the UK.). when I changed to ya as my provider I kept the same number and they activated the adsl line, as far as I recall they did not have to anything within my property and handled to actual transfer remotely.

Orange.es have told me I need to change my number (at cost although the change of number is not important to me as I rarely use it when notifying people of my number I use my mobile number). In order to change the number they are sending out a technical guy to my address to effect the change. Given that I have the requisite line can the change of number can be done remotely? Am I missing something which would require a physical presence at my property to make the change?
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Thu 13-Dec-12 15:47:13
Print Post

Re: Changing Number ADSL Line

[re: technoob] [link to this post]

Not familar with the Spanish telephone system but I cannot see any reason as to why you should need to change your number nor why they should need to come out to your home
Standard User technoob
(newbie) Thu 13-Dec-12 16:09:50
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

The change of number is their way of charging customers taking on the new deal, as I said it is not precious to me although I would have preferred not to change.
The issue really is about how they change numbers (porting?) and what is physically involved. I appreciate that I am referring to Spain rather than the UK. Would there be any reason for a BT technician to do anything on site in a similar situation? I need to speak to a technician later and I am just trying to get an understanding of how the process works.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 13-Dec-12 17:38:59
Print Post

One reason could be that you might be moving to or from an ISDN based service ... and that will require an ISDN adapter at the premises to be installed/removed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User technoob
(newbie) Thu 13-Dec-12 18:02:12
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

How can I confirm whether or not I have an ISDN Line. The property was built in 2005 and was sold as ADSL ready and I have had my current ADSL service since 2007. Is it likely that my new deal would move to ISDN if I didn't have it already? As I said previously I am not technically aware and just need to understand how things work so I can talk to the technician.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 13-Dec-12 18:07:24
Print Post

Do you currently have some form of termination box? If so a picture of that would be useful

ISDN for domestic properties has been around since the late 90's and ADSL can run over either PSTN or ISDN. Some companies started moves ito install ISDN in new premises but it really is impossible to say what you have without any pictures.

M H C

Standard User technoob
(newbie) Thu 13-Dec-12 18:22:59
Print Post

Not really the guy who connected the phone had to undo a panel near the entrance to the property which is secured by eight screws and unless it it needs to be removed as part of this process I'd rather not as it has been painted over since installation. I guess I will have to talk to the technician and establish what is is involved. Many thanks for pointing out a possible reason at least I can confirm whether or not this is the case.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 13-Dec-12 18:27:17
Print Post

Are there any boxes inside the property?

ISDN is only a guess and I would like to hear what you ultimately find out. There was a whole thread about ISDN in Spain a couple of years back but it seems to have disappeared.

M H C

Standard User technoob
(newbie) Thu 13-Dec-12 18:46:14
Print Post

Sorry we are at cross purposes, the panel is within the property and contains the telephony link.

I will let you know what transpires, my suspicion is that they make a standard charge and send out a technician irrespective of whether he has to do anything. Unfortunately talking to the salespeople has proved futile as they don't really understand what's going on. One suggested the technician was required to install my router but that arrived today and is already being used with my current setup. Given that my initial change from standard to ADSL didn't require a technician visit I am confused why ADSL to ADSL would. As I said the maximums speeds remain 20 down and 1 up and VOIP is currently working fine. The only difference this time around is the change of number and I would have thought that could be done remotely unless there is a change of infrastructure required.
Standard User technoob
(newbie) Mon 17-Dec-12 10:54:21
Print Post

Turned out nothing needed to be changed within the property after all. The technician explained that the change from Movistar was easy because they gave the companies all the technical data required. When changing from companies outside of movistar this data is never provided so they have to obtain it themselves from the existing line. Not sure why it should be so but it strikes me as a very typical Spanish way of doing things.
  Print Thread

Jump to