Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Herstmonceux
(member) Thu 13-Dec-12 22:18:25
Print Post

Line Under Performing?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have been advised in this post: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/btsupplier/f/418185...

That my phone line is seriously under performing, here are my current line stats:
Downstream Rate 8128 kbps
Upstream Rate 448 kbps
Downstream Margin 8.7 dB
Upstream Margin 28.0 dB
Downstream Line Attenuation 20.6 dB
Upstream Line Attenuation 11.0 dB
Downstream Transmit Power 19.9 dB
Upstream Transmit Power 12.4 dB

My connection is generally very stable, regularly getting just over 6mbit on a speed test. I have a single phone socket with no extensions, though the phone line does go through a surge protector. I have an NTE5 socket with the BT logo and the piper man on it, no bell wire is connected.

Any thoughts or comments?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Dec-12 22:28:18
Print Post

Re: Line Under Performing?

[re: Herstmonceux] [link to this post]

Looks to me like you haven't been upgraded yet. My downstream attenuation on ADSL Max was 26db, when upgraded I saw 18.7 meg sync.
So yes, it can go faster, but at present is going as fast as possible with the current exchange DSLAM equipment.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Dec-12 22:31:12
Print Post

Your ISP is Under Performing!

Where's your line under-performing?

You are still on ADSL Max at max revs from an exchange that you allege has recently been upgraded to 21CN ADSL2+.

It is your ISP, if anything, that is under-performing by not upgrading your line.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Dec-12 22:37:55
Print Post

Your Exchange is Under Performing!

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
from an exchange that you allege has recently been upgraded to 21CN ADSL2+.
Correction: HERSTMONCEUX exchange not yet 21CN till next year:
21CN WBC status: RFS date set : 31/12/2012

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 13-Dec-12 22:39:53)

Standard User Herstmonceux
(member) Fri 14-Dec-12 22:42:45
Print Post

Re: Your Exchange is Under Performing!

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for the comments, encouraging to know my line is running well. My exchange has been upgraded according to the BT checker, my ISP said they would upgrade me to ADSL2+ within 7 days, it's day 9 now and no sign but I'll leave it until monday until i chase them.

Thanks for the help!
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Dec-12 08:44:29
Print Post

the ISP's look to update in 3 different ways

1) Not at all
2) Create a batch of lines on the exchange and ask the wholesale company to bulk upgrade. Depending on the ISP this may or may not be automated and run every week to 2 weeks
3) Ask for a specific line to upgraded.

I have no idea if any of the above costs the ISP money to get an update done. A few years ago when I was using ADSL I paid my ISP to have (3) rather than wait an uspecificed time for (2)

IanD
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Dec-12 14:21:28
Print Post

Be patient!

Your exchange has just been upgraded to 21CN or is in the process of being done. It takes a bit of time for BTw to make it available to ISPs and a bit more time for ISPs to make it available to its users, of which you are not the only one.

So, don't expect ADSL2+ to be in your Xmas stocking but with a fair wind you should have a nice present early in the New Year.

Print Thread

Jump to