Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(regular) Fri 14-Dec-12 21:24:49
Print Post

Fixed IP

[link to this post]

Q1.Perhaps someone could explain that with "always on" connections with broadband why there still exists dynamic IP addresses? I wish to access my network remotely and there pay extra for a Fixed IP address and yet I note that those on a dynamic service seldom, if ever, see their IP address change. So is the fee for a fixed IP a rip off?

Q2.Over the last few days I have installed a very basic CCTV system, the pictures from which I will view from a remote location. One of the stepping stones to achieve this is for the CCTV control box to have a LAN fixed IP. No problem to do that and care was taken that it was outside the DHCP range. But it made me wonder what the difference was between a LAN fixed IP or by allowing the device to pick up a DHCP address and then binding it to the MAC. Both methods give a fixed IP address to the CCTV or am a missing something here?

Thoughts on this matter would be welcomed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Dec-12 21:30:41
Print Post

Re: Fixed IP

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

A1.Some providers have the IP so it does not change that often. Running your systems so that the IP issued never changes needs a little more work, so providers often go for the easier method. Pay a little more or pick different provider and you can have static IPv4 address

A2. Either method is fine with regards to setting up port forwarding rules usually, since i presume you have had to do that to expose the IP camera web server

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User techguy
(committed) Fri 14-Dec-12 21:49:04
Print Post

Q1 Fixed IPs are becoming standard on more and more connections but yes some providers still do charge.
While a dynamic IP may appear to be 'sticky' and not change it is possible that if the router is rebooted or has to resynchronise with the exchange the IP will change, selecting a provider who either charges for a fixed IP or includes it for free guards against this possibility.
Q2 to do what you wish to do you will either have to:

1. If you are going to use Network Address Translation which is the default setting for most routers (devices on the LAN side are typically allocated a 192.168.x.x address) you will need to place the camera or it's control device in the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) so that you can access it remotely by putting the router's IP address into a browser.

2. A better solution might be to request an IP block from your ISP (which they may charge for) and give it it's own IP address which would be useful if you had more then one camera control board or addressable camera.

if you really just wanted to use the dynamic IP some routers support the Dynamic DNS service run by the American company Dyn http://dyn.com/, allows you to assign a hostname to the connection and the router updates the companies servers when your IP changes.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(regular) Sat 15-Dec-12 10:01:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
A1.Some providers have the IP so it does not change that often. Running your systems so that the IP issued never changes needs a little more work, so providers often go for the easier method. Pay a little more or pick different provider and you can have static IPv4 address

A2. Either method is fine with regards to setting up port forwarding rules usually, since i presume you have had to do that to expose the IP camera web server

Thank you the two responses received and I wish to concentrate on my original question on why with fixed broadband connections the concept of dynamic IP address continues and indeed why those that want to ensure having the same IP address have to be charged extortionate rates for the privilege. I was connected to broadband at the end of 2003 so over that 9 year period I have paid over £500 + VAT for this facility; there can't be that much effort by the ISP tp maintain the same IP address.

Had fixed ISPs been the norm then nuisance and criminal users of Internet facilities could much more easily be tracked down. From a personal perspective being able to ban IP addresses to my web site would be very useful.

Then the notion of a fixed IP goes out the window when you change ISPs because you can't take your fixed IP address to your new provider. If you have a fixed IP then it should be yours for as long as you need it in much the same way that "owning" a domain name works.

Too much complacency exists with ISPs in maintaing the status quo and not providing the end user with what they desire.

Edited by trolleybus (Sat 15-Dec-12 10:11:14)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Dec-12 10:06:37
Print Post

why with fixed broadband connections the concept of dynamic IP address continues

I think, at a basic level, providing a dynamic address works out cheaper for ISP's, and may well be 'simpler' for them to operate. As with many things, the almighty dollar is basis for much business practice.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 15-Dec-12 11:08:49
Print Post

Thank you the two responses received and I wish to concentrate on my original question on why with fixed broadband connections the concept of dynamic IP address continues
Some people prefer dynamic IP addresses, and pop up here from time to time asking for ISPs that do them or demanding to know why their "dynamic" address is always the same.

With USB modems many ADSL connections were not "always on" and many people also turn off their routers, so if you look at stats you see many less connections active than accounts subscribed, so dynamic does allow for a smaller number of addresses to be used than static or residential cheapo services. By picking your ISP you can have a static IP at no extra cost without paying for a premium service.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Dec-12 11:31:36
Print Post

Taking your IP address with you as you change providers - how big is your wallet? The way the big blocks are allocated makes that difficult

And the IPv4 allocations are exhausted, so dynamic where an isp can have 2.5 million customers but just 2 million IP's might become the way of the future if people don't adopt ipv6

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Dec-12 09:03:41
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Given the gonvernmental requirements (or soon to be requirements) to know who was allocated an address a particular time, I'm surpised static isn't cheaper once handling that is factored in.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Dec-12 10:27:55
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

Given general abuse tracking then an ISP that cannot correlate its IP allocation to a session needs to look seriously at how it does business.

Radius session tracking should not be rocket science

Standard User Backpack
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Dec-12 03:49:01
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by techguy:
1. If you are going to use Network Address Translation which is the default setting for most routers (devices on the LAN side are typically allocated a 192.168.x.x address) you will need to place the camera or it's control device in the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) so that you can access it remotely by putting the router's IP address into a browser.

No you don't, you just need to forward the port(s).

And if that's all you require external access for then a dyndns account will solve the dynamic IP problem adequately.
  Print Thread

Jump to