Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User steve80uk
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-13 18:45:48
Print Post

adsl2 woes

[link to this post]

I previously had a rock solid 8mb connection, i synced at 8mb and had a 7150 profile with 6snr margin. I had no problems at all.

I was finally moved onto adsl2+, and ive just finish the training period, but ive had nothing but problems.
The first day i synced at just over 13mb with a 6snr target.. speed test were showing 11mb downloads.. i would get the odd disconnect ever few hours and i was connecting slightly slower each time.

I got a new router, replaced the micro filters... i had some trouble with teh router at first, a firmware upgrade seemed to have gone wrong.. i eventually sorted it out, but it caused alot of disconnects with me setting it up.. by this time i was now syncing at 8.8mb with an snr of 15
I though ok, it will gradually sort itself out.. i had no problems playing games, getting a good ping, no obvious problems.. but the same odd disconnect after several hours.. and reconnecting ever slower.

Im now at the point where my profile has been locked to between 5and 6mb with an snr of 12.. which is 2mb slower than i had before on my previously fine connection.

Taking a closer look at the routers stats in the last 2hrs30mins, its showing..
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 7
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 52717
HEC Down : 20
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 25.0
SNR Down : 9.2
Line Attenuation Up : 17.6
Line Attenuation Down : 31.0
Data Rate Up : 444
Data Rate Down : 6653

the only other thing i can see from this, is that when it syncs it syncs to 12snr but is at 9.2 now.

occasionally over the past week, ive seen the HEC down errors suddenly burst to 20-40k.. although strangely refreshing my routers stats page, the amount of those errors sometime goes down and up without seemingly losing connection, so im not sure if those ones are accurate.

Im connected to the master socket along with the phone to a new microfilter, theres an extention socket but nothing connected.
I contacted my isp, ive already done the things they said to try, except plugging in to the test socket on the master socket, as its from about '97 and i dont have one.
I really have no clue what else to try, to work out where the problem is etc.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Jan-13 18:52:12
Print Post

Re: adsl2 woes

[re: steve80uk] [link to this post]

If the extension has a ring wire disconnecting that can help improve noise performance.

The fact the upload speed is low suggests a cap/banded profile may have been applied to the connection as a response. If you think you've got things as settled as they can be, request that the ISP get BT Wholesale to restart the training period, or wait a few weeks and see if the systems think you are stable enough and let you go faster.

If it was just a target noise margin setting issue, you would be expecting a much higher upstream speed. By any chance is your ISP Orange?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User steve80uk
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-13 19:31:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

my isp is Eclipse.. the upload speed has synced at that speed since day one i didnt realise i could get faster upload speeds.

My problem is i have no idea if things have settled.. as at no point have i had any problems when ive been connected.. i play games, use skpe etc, and ive had low pings, no delays.. it just seems my connection randomly drops after several hours... the guy from tec support said my connection had been lost 57 times this month.. although i suspect a big chunk of those are from me trying to setup the new router.. theres usually 2-3 a day that i notice, that arent cause by me rebooting or turning the router off.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(member) Wed 09-Jan-13 20:27:28
Print Post

Interesting, I am also with Eclipse on ADSL2+. Does not answer your question but appears ADSL2 could be more susceptible to line problems it seems. Or could it be the new Multiplexers at exchanges
From July to November Sync at 12.3 down 1.2 up
Then gradually fell to 4.5 down 0.45 up at mid december
End of december moved up to 12.1 down 1.1 up
Now moving back down 9.2 down 0.88 up.
Have not a clue why nor do Eclipse IMO.

Edited by flippery (Wed 09-Jan-13 20:28:27)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 09-Jan-13 21:49:50
Print Post

theres an extention socket but nothing connected.
So if you use the test socket instead of the master faceplate do you see a difference ?

While there's nothing connected the wiring is an open ended spur that doesn't do anything for your line's high frequency behaviour - if the test socket is better than the faceplate then either leave it in the test socket or remove the extension wiring.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Jan-13 21:59:33
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Hence why the mantra is test at test socket, remove unused extensions totally or at least the ring wire.

The extra frequencies mean more scope for noise effects. If you can force the router to ADSL or ADSL2 mode rather than Auto or ADSL2+ then this can improve stability.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User steve80uk
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-13 23:15:39
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

there isnt actually a test socket, as far as i know. The socket was installed about 97.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 10-Jan-13 10:27:37
Print Post

The NTE5 telephone master socket was introduced in 1986 so you ought to have one but who knows. The NTE5 with its test socket has the two screws about 1/3 the way up a larger faceplate, compared to the smaller predecessor with its screws on the centre line.

If you don't use the extension then removing the wiring from the master is the same as using the test socket.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User steve80uk
(newbie) Fri 11-Jan-13 19:03:07
Print Post

I started logging the snr on the routerlast night, this is what it looks like.. it looks quite jittery during the night and evening.. but im not sure whats normal.. where it goes to zero the router has disconnected and so has no value.

.http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9379/noisemargin2...

shortly before each disconnect is a small amount of HEC download errors, 20-60.. almost none at any other times. the disconnects dont seem to match with any obvious sources of interference in the house
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 11-Jan-13 19:52:29
Print Post

That amount of jitter is quite normal on any line and some will have a lot more. The 2dB swing from max to min is also reasonable - most are in the 3-5 dB region with some as high as 7dB. You need to find the cause of the burst of errors as it is probably a lot worse than you see and enough to drag the margin right down and cause loss of sync.

Run RSL for a few days and see if there is a pattern or specific time for the occurrences.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to