Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Not_for_long
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 11:41:58
Print Post

Convinced we have a cabinet/cable fault but who will listen?

[link to this post]

A few years ago the road to our industrial estate flooded which caused the cabinet and underground junction box nearby to be waterlogged.

Over time our office ADSL has slowed and just recently desperate for more speed we have gone down the bonded route. When the bonded connection was setup we had a line fault and an OpenReach engineer checked things out.

The engineer noted that the cabinet that serves the industrial estate showed a sync of 6Mb yet 200 meters away we seem to get 1.5Mb on both lines. He also mentioned that they had been asking for a replacement frame within the cabinet but it always gets turned down. He swapped out our pair and while we have a connection this is slower than previously experienced.

I've been asking around the estate and it turns out that a number of companies also suffer slow speeds (<1Mb) but surprisingly one business came up as 5.5Mb which you might expect from this cabinet. OpenReach predict up to 3.5Mb for our connection. I know we should be grateful that we have 1.5Mb and I'm sure this isn't REIN since the speed is consistent.

After speaking with our ISP (Eclipse) they feel the only way to get anything investigated is to co-ordinate companies on the estate to contact their own ISP's and complain with a hope that someone at OpenReach might twig. Eclipse were willing to submit a case with OpenReach but I felt it best left as is since we couldn't cope with slower copper pairs!

Has anyone experienced this kind of problem and anyone with suggestions on how to get OpenReach to listen or am I going to be wasting my time?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Jan-13 11:50:51
Print Post

Re: Convinced we have a cabinet/cable fault but who will lis

[re: Not_for_long] [link to this post]

Given sync speeds can vary to do local things like extension wiring, best to not use connection speed, but the full suite of

connection speed
attenuation
noise margin

Taken from the ADSL modems. A range of 5 Meg to 1 Meg may be down to noise margins varying from 3dB through to 15dB.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Not_for_long
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 13:57:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick response. For the sake of a generic 'problem' I had deliberatly left this out but since you ask -

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1952 kbps 800 kbps
Line Attenuation 50.0 db 30.0 db
Noise Margin 6.7 db 11.0 db

I can't login to the 2nd router at present but will do so tomorrow.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Jan-13 14:20:01
Print Post

[re: Not_for_long] [link to this post]

Okay the 50dB attenuation should give better speeds.

Looks like noise is an issue, now that could be a bad joint, water ingress, animals living in the cabinet smile Or the more normal interference from something local.

Testing from the test socket removes the influence of extensions in the home, which can pick up noise, so worth a check.

Also I would plot the data on a map for all the people if you can, if it clusters around one area, then could be something as simple as a noise source from a welding business etc that keeps your speeds down.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to