Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(regular) Mon 14-Jan-13 14:37:56
Print Post

21CN WBC (Broadband) RFS Date

[link to this post]

I happened to notice that the Elstead, Surrey exchange is now shown with an RFS Date for 21CN WBC. From an end user prospective, does this mean improved broadband speeds would come off the back of this through an order to an ISP?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Jan-13 15:09:11
Print Post

Re: 21CN WBC (Broadband) RFS Date

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

31st May I believe.

It means ADSL2+ via BT Wholesale will become available. ADSL2+ means those closest to the exchange may get a lot faster, those at the far reaches may see no difference apart from a boost to the upstream and better handling of the IP Profile.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.htm... shows the difference ADSL2+ can make.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User trolleybus
(regular) Mon 14-Jan-13 15:34:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for your response. Exactly what I thought would be true and is good news because the BDUK project to bring FTTC to the Village is light years away. My straight line distance to the exchange is said to be 817 metres or by road about 0.9 km so it looks as though I could get a bit more speed. What pro-active measures by me would be necessary to have this most welcomed boost?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Jan-13 16:12:08
Print Post

Who's your ISP? What are your current stats?

Geo distances are not always very indicative. It's line length that counts.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Jan-13 16:33:40
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Line length in terms of downstream attenuation is even better

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Jan-13 17:06:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That's exactly what I'm hinting at.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User trolleybus
(regular) Mon 14-Jan-13 17:40:56
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Who's your ISP? What are your current stats?

Geo distances are not always very indicative. It's line length that counts.

Happy to oblige:
ISP is TalkTalk Business but originally signed up with Nildram 10 years ago. BT line but calls made via TalKTalk. Have a fixed IP.

My Draytek 2820Vn reports:
Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
448000 5952000 17 23

Speed test Link: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...

I am told that my current 1.2 down and 0.3 up is due to congestion on the back haul. Connection speeds in the morning are very much better. Router plugged directly into the test socket. New drop wire installed about a year ago because insulation was missing due to a branch rubbing on wire - branch removed in the process.

As the crow flies, 817 metres to the exchange, by road 0.9 km (passing the cabinet en-route). Elstead is a Level 1 exchange.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Jan-13 18:03:23
Print Post

Any TalkTalk service that is non-LLU which this looks to be suffers worse contention, so you would probably get better by changing provider even if WBC was not on the way.

When you say connection speeds are better in the morning, do you really mean the 5952000 figure, or the result from a speedtest. if the 5952000 figure is varying a lot then you probably have a wiring issue, and if the 23dB attenuation figure is the downstream attenuation I am tempted to say you do have a noise problem.

In short the full set of figures (screenshot is better to avoid missing useful snippets) when connected to your master sockets test socket.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Jan-13 19:07:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
448000 5952000 17 23
Your Sync Speed is rather low; should be getting the full 8 Meg. Probably a wiring problem. Have you removed ring wire?

Your line length is about 1.7 km.

EDIT: You could be getting 17-18 Meg on WBC ADSL2+.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 14-Jan-13 19:08:49)

Print Thread

Jump to