Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikejp
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 16:30:09
Print Post

Cabinet numbers and locations

[link to this post]

Now that the BT DSL checker shows individual cabinet numbers for houses, is there any way I can find the location of each of the numbered cabinets on an exchange?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Jan-13 16:34:32
Print Post

Re: Cabinet numbers and locations

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

Nope

Best way is to park safely and check the cabinet you think is yours and see what number is stencilled in white on it

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User somerset
(committed) Mon 14-Jan-13 16:58:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Or look at Streetview.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mikejp
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 21:03:03
Print Post

Problem with using Streetview (which I have used) is it doesn't tell me where they are, and I have about 45SqKm to look at on this exchange. That is a bunch of cruising! There must be be a database somewhere?
Standard User ChrisHS
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 21:51:23
Print Post

Use the adsl address checker to find the edges of the area connected to your cabinet.
Make a more informed guess as to where it's hiding.
No guarantee its in the centre.

I think mine is in the pavenent.

The other thing is to use that database for a list of post codes attached to your cabinet and feed it into geomapping online service.
For mine it gave a blob area but doesn't quite line up with the address checker.
Cabinets coverage overlaps.

The longer they take to deliver the more time you get to eek out more information from what you can obtain.

Edited by ChrisHS (Mon 14-Jan-13 21:53:03)

Standard User ChrisHS
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 21:55:56
Print Post

Re: Cabinet numbers and locations *DELETED*

Post deleted by ChrisHS
Standard User TMCR
(member) Mon 14-Jan-13 23:58:38
Print Post

I struggled to find mine. I looked at about 10 cabs I could find in the area but none had the same cab number. Very odd.

Then Digital Region came along, their checker not only gave me the cab number, but was linked to a map, showing that the cab I am connected to is actually 1.2Km away. There are at least a dozen closer.

OK, that's not going to work for everyone, but it still puzzles me why my old BT line was connected over such a long distance. I make no wonder DR and FTTC quotes were sub 20Mb

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L)
Standard User mikejp
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 08:01:28
Print Post

[re: ChrisHS] [link to this post]

PCP to Postcode database is excellent but only includes those Postcodes which are scheduled to receive NGA at some stage - we are not and are not in it.

Using the address checker over that area is somewhat of a task! We have at least 7 cabs - I know where 6 are but can I find 7?
  Print Thread

Jump to