Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wannabemedic
(learned) Thu 17-Jan-13 15:44:02
Print Post

Hissy (at times, crackling) line

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

For the past month, our ADSL connection has been dropping for a few minutes at a time about 4-5 times per 24hr period. This sometimes appears to coincide with a crackling noise on the phone line or when a phone call is received.

Calls to AOL Support eventually resulted in them finding an issue on a line test and they raised a fault to the TalkTalk faults team. The faults team suggested trying to isolate whether it's a line or broadband issue as they claim we'll be charged if a broadband openreach engineer is sent for a line issue.

I've done some searching on here and have already done some diagnostics.

Line rental is paid to BT, but phone and broadband go via AOL.

For the last 3 weeks the phone and broadband has been plugged into the test socket via a microfilter.

I've used four different filters with no change. I've also used a corded phone straight in the test socket (no filter) with the quiet line test (17070 option 2). I could hear a faint hissing noise, i.e. it wasn't totally silent. I've only tried this in the last hour or so since looking at preivous threads on here where that was suggested.

The crackling seems to get worse in the evening (though the phone is rarely used during the daytime) so I'll continue to try the quiet line test every hour or so.

It's usually a cordless phone that's used but I've got a corded phone for the purposes of the quiet line test. Is the line supposed to be completely clear or is a faint hissing sound during the quiet line test normal?
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Jan-13 16:00:32
Print Post

Re: Hissy (at times, crackling) line

[re: wannabemedic] [link to this post]

Could be caused by faulty extension wiring. Do you run any under carpets?

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
(learned) Thu 17-Jan-13 16:09:37
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
Could be caused by faulty extension wiring. Do you run any under carpets?

There was a faulty internal extension which I disconnected and isolated from the master socket. This left only one remaining extension which ran from the master socket to an upstairs room.

However for the past three weeks, the phone and broadband has been plugged into the test socket as I wanted to isolate the internal wiring.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Jan-13 18:50:45
Print Post

Is the line supposed to be completely clear or is a faint hissing sound during the quiet line test normal?

When connected to the test socket you don't want to hear any hissing or crackling during the quiet line test.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Jan-13 12:39:29
Print Post

Please test again in the NTE test jack, if the hiss is still apparent, ring your ISP again and ask if they can run a CIDT test on your line. This should identify the (suspected by me) HR fault, and will have them raise a fault for Openreach to investigate.

(learned) Fri 18-Jan-13 21:34:31
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Please test again in the NTE test jack, if the hiss is still apparent, ring your ISP again and ask if they can run a CIDT test on your line. This should identify the (suspected by me) HR fault, and will have them raise a fault for Openreach to investigate.

Thanks for the responses.

I've done the quiet line test again (with a corded phone plugged directly into the test socket) and could still hear the faint hissing.

Tried to call the ISP whose fault team was very busy and hadn't answered the call after a long wait. I'll try again tomorrow.

They did say last time that if I can still hear the hissing/crackling when only the phone is plugged in then I should report that to BT, in order to resolve the line issue. However, I'll ask them to do the CIDT test and see what comes back.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jan-13 11:29:44
Print Post

They did say last time that if I can still hear the hissing/crackling when only the phone is plugged in then I should report that to BT, in order to resolve the line issue.

They really shouldn't be telling you this. If you follow their advice, the fault ail be logged as noisy, but since the fault is only apparent when the broadband is connected, the engineer will visit, and test without BB connected, and you'll get a bill for right when tested.
Getting your broadband service provider to have the CIDT test done should identify the HR fault, then get the correct type of fault raised to Openreach, and you'll get an engineer who understands the nature of the fault.

(learned) Sat 19-Jan-13 16:47:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
They did say last time that if I can still hear the hissing/crackling when only the phone is plugged in then I should report that to BT, in order to resolve the line issue.

They really shouldn't be telling you this. If you follow their advice, the fault ail be logged as noisy, but since the fault is only apparent when the broadband is connected, the engineer will visit, and test without BB connected, and you'll get a bill for right when tested.
Getting your broadband service provider to have the CIDT test done should identify the HR fault, then get the correct type of fault raised to Openreach, and you'll get an engineer who understands the nature of the fault.

Thanks for this, I spoke with AOL's faults management team to ask. They said they can't do a CIDT from TalkTalk's network as the line rental is paid to BT. They suggested asking BT to do the CIDT test. I was also told that the exchange engineers had just done some updates to the exchange equipment which will take effect at 7pm tonight.

I then called BT to ask for the CIDT test. They did another standard line test and found no issue. I had to ask about five times whether they'd done the CIDT test before they admitted they don't do the CIDT, that's something the ISP can do. They suggested the fault was a broadband issue and advised contacting the ISP.

So, called AOL again to report BT's response and to ask (again) for the CIDT test. I was told the fault had been escalated to the next level and I should wait 24-48 hours for a response. I asked that BT's response be added to the fault report. Unless anyone suggests otherwise I'm going to monitor until tomorrow morning and then call AOL for an update and to ask again for the CIDT test.
(learned) Sun 20-Jan-13 14:35:36
Print Post

I've just been told by a (non UK based by the sound of it) support engineer from AOL that "I have the wrong mindset" if I expect the connection to remain stable for more than a couple of hours at a time. He also said the broadband's been stable for over an hour so I shouldn't really complain. Ha!

I asked for the CIDT test and was told they don't do that test as it "disconnects other users on the line."

Anyway, I called customer retentions to complain about that moron and was told the UK faults department will be open tomorrow so I'll just wait until then to speak with them. I've told them I'm going to leave if this isn't resolved (I mean it).
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Jan-13 16:38:51
Print Post

You won't be the first person to leave AOL owing to poor customer service.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to