Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikex
(newbie) Sun 20-Jan-13 19:11:50
Print Post

Problems with ADSL2

[link to this post]

Hello, I had ADSL Max for years, completely stable and max speed possible. 8128 off the top of my head.

I have just(10 days ago) switched to the newly available ADSL2+ and it has been nothing but problems since day 1.

I first noticed we were on around 17500~ sync speed which was great, with around 3dB SNR Downstream Margin. However I quickly noticed whenever we received or made a phonecall we would immediately disconnect from the internet.

I contacted my ISP about this issue and they raised the SNR Margin to 6dB which has now had the effect of making the problem less consistent, but still there.

Oh and every time I lost connection my sync speed dropped, so here are my stats.

DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 1035
Downstream 14910
SNR Margin(Upstream) 6.8
SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.8
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 14.1
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 27.5

I am really frustrated at this point as obviously my line is incredibly unstable. I do not believe the issue is our filters as we replaced them.

I am connecting the router to an extension socket.
Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Jan-13 20:03:28
Print Post

Re: Problems with ADSL2

[re: mikex] [link to this post]

I suspect a HR (High Resistance) fault has occurred or other line fault, this will need to be discussed with your ISP to raise with Openreach for a possible home visit.

Do you hear any hissing on the line and are you plugged into the test socket?
Standard User mikex
(newbie) Sun 20-Jan-13 20:24:38
Print Post

[re: Kiggs] [link to this post]

Nope no hissing on the line, and it's using an extension socket as the master socket is too far away, again though we haven't had any issues with this setup before the switch to adsl2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Jan-13 20:58:09
Print Post

[re: Kiggs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kiggs:
I suspect a HR (High Resistance) fault has occurred or other line fault
I suspect that such fault has always been there, but the higher speeds and frequencies of ADSL2+ has taxed it more.

The OP can always downgrade his ADSL mode to ADSL2 or even the old ADSL(1) by a router setting if he is really hacked off by it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User mikex
(newbie) Sun 20-Jan-13 21:03:21
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't really appeal to me, I was pleased to receive ADSL2 for the increased speed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Jan-13 21:05:58
Print Post

If using microfilters then disconnect the ring wire.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.htm...

ADSL2+ is more prone to interference due to the extra frequencies used. So while extensions were no issue before if they are not reasonable quaility twisted pair then they can be a problem.

Testing for an hour or two at the test socket that is part of the master socket will reveal if the problem is internal or external to your property. Until then I would not be entertaining worries about a HR fault.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flippery
(member) Sun 20-Jan-13 21:45:41
Print Post

What type and make of phone do you have
Standard User mikex
(newbie) Sun 20-Jan-13 21:48:19
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

using bt synergy 4500 quad phones
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Jan-13 22:37:04
Print Post

I was only suggesting that until the fault gets fixed. If it is an HR fault it could take some time to shuffle responsibility between ISP & line renter. It may be a fault in the copper phone line but it only becomes apparent with BB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User marko3
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-13 11:54:49
Print Post

Hi, this is quite spooky as I have had exactly the same problem and spent the weekend trying to find out what is going on.

Your set up sounds very similar to mine, I have an extension cable running from my phone point to my router which is upstairs. We are only a short distance from our exchange and achieved 8128 on ADSL Max, rock solid. When we were able to get ADSL 2+ our speed went up to 18000+ with over 1000 up. This is rock solid and never drops until the phone rings or we make a call when it drops completely. Fortunately we hardly use the landline so it hasn't been a problem but with the poor weather we have had need to work from home so a solution had to be found.

To cut a very long and frustrating story short, I discovered that my broadband would drop if the extension cable was still carrying any kind of phone signal, just removing the ring wire had no effect. I already had a Clarity ADSL adapter faceplate so I was able to use that to provide my router with just broadband. I then ran another extension for the phone and now everything is fine.

I also tried to use the same cable, one pair for phone, the other for broadband, as this is how I've used this before for ADSL Max. I guess there isn't enough screening in the cable as although the broadband was fast and the phone clear, they wouldn't work at the same time.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to