Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lenaspell
(committed) Fri 01-Feb-13 21:34:39
Print Post

TBB speedchecker

[link to this post]

After years of using the speed test to check my speed I have been unable to get beyond 5% of the test it sticks on the quick download bit. I am using Safari on my Mac using Lion version 10.7.5 - I also had the same problem using my laptop last Sunday and that has Mountain Lion loaded. (Despite what my strapline may say)

Are there known issues at present?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I couldn't see a specific forum.

Len

Zen Fibre Active. Router Netgear N300 WNR2000.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit and iMac 9.1 and MacBook both now running Lion smile
Standard User lenaspell
(committed) Sat 02-Feb-13 12:07:16
Print Post

Re: TBB speedchecker

[re: lenaspell] [link to this post]

Any thoughts anyone. Tried again today this time using Firefox, on the laptop and still no joy. The tester sticks at 5% after the quick download test. I will try later on the Windows PC to see if that is any different. Very perplexing.

I have checked that Java is up to date and enabled.

Len

Windows 7 Pro 64bit and iMac 9.1 running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion smile
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 02-Feb-13 14:30:24
Print Post

Have you tried the Flash test?

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lenaspell
(committed) Sat 02-Feb-13 16:00:24
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Have you tried the Flash test?

I have yes and that works but does not seem as reliable a test as the 'normal' TBB test and as I keep my previous results it doesn't really provide the same facility as far as I know. I have also carried out the test on Speedtest.net as my fall back and that still works fine. 56Mbps download and 16Mbps upload using the Speedtest.net test.

Len

Windows 7 Pro 64bit and iMac 9.1 running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion smile
Standard User lenaspell
(committed) Sat 02-Feb-13 21:02:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by lenaspell:
Any thoughts anyone. Tried again today this time using Firefox, on the laptop and still no joy. The tester sticks at 5% after the quick download test. I will try later on the Windows PC to see if that is any different. Very perplexing.

I have checked that Java is up to date and enabled.

I thought it was resolved earlier but alas my joy was very short lived. It actually managed to perform the whole speedtest though came back with a low result for this line of 13Mbps down and up almost identical. Thought it might just be a rogue sample so went to test again only for the thing to stall immediately after the quick download test - 5% through before freezing.

So back to square one frown

Oh and no difference at all on my Windows 7 set up.

Len

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 02-Feb-13 23:02:55
Print Post

... only for the thing to stall immediately after the quick download test - 5% through before freezing.

Try ticking the "Detailed Output" and "Port 80" boxes- it worked on a Mac.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lenaspell
(committed) Sun 03-Feb-13 10:16:46
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
... only for the thing to stall immediately after the quick download test - 5% through before freezing.

Bill - I always tick the detailed output box anyway. I have also tried ticking the 'Port 80' box for these tests given the problems but it makes no difference either way.

All very odd since I have run the test without any issues for years on all my machines, whether Windows based or Mac.

Len

Standard User lenaspell
(committed) Sun 03-Feb-13 13:56:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:

Bill - I always tick the detailed output box anyway. I have also tried ticking the 'Port 80' box for these tests given the problems but it makes no difference either way.

All very odd since I have run the test without any issues for years on all my machines, whether Windows based or Mac.

Further update - I have now managed to successfully carry out 3 tests on my Windows 7 PC - admittedly using wifi connection only. I can't do an ethernet connection as my PC is in my office in the converted loft and the master socket is two floors down in the hallway. However the important thing is that the test now works. I will try using my Mac laptop this afternoon hard wired and see if I can get results from that.

However even allowing for the reduction due to using wifi two floors up my download is reported at 34Mbps and upload at 13Mbps. Using BT Whoesale Tester (also wifi only) I get 51.92 Mbps down and 14.13 Mbps upload. Profiles set at 77.43 down and 20 up. The BT test was done using an alternative network with the repeater being located in the loft. Shows the value of having the airport express smile

Len

Print Thread

Jump to