Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User leenowell
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 18:19:09
Print Post

Orange/ EE broadband wont connect

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have been with Orange broadband for many years and generally all has been well. Speed has been an ongoing issue so I decided to bite the bullet and move my livebox to the master socket to see if made any difference.

Long story short, my livebox refuses to connect whether connected to master socket or an extension. Orange did a line test and after a number of troubleshooting steps, I ended up connecting it directly to the master socket without a filter and all was well. Since then I have power cycled the livebox and the thing refuses to connect again. It is currently connected directly to the master socket without a filter and I have disconnected all extensions. Still no joy. It is driving me mad......

The only thing I can think of is that if there is noise on the line on start up, it refuses to connect. When I had it connected, I took a note of the system values which may also point to the issue but I don't understand them.

noise margin db : varied between 6.1 and 6.9
Attenuation db : varied between 27.5 and 29.5
Connection mode : ADSL 2+
Attainable download rate kbps : varied between 7246 and 7536

Is there anything I can try? I have been at this most of the weekend and unfortunately Orange support couldn't get to the bottom of it and it seems to suddenly work then fail.

All help appreciated

Thanks

Lee.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Feb-13 18:40:46
Print Post

Re: Orange/ EE broadband wont connect

[re: leenowell] [link to this post]

All I can say is your stats are bad, which must be due to an issue on your line.

Speed should be over double @ 16.5 Meg.

NM is normal, but I'd not expect Attenuation to vary that much, using same router, as long as it's always shown "Mode : ADSL2+".

EDIT: Please post all the stats verbatim.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 03-Feb-13 18:42:36)

Standard User leenowell
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 19:13:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi

Unfortunately I can't give you the current stats as it won't connect.

When I connected it to the master socket originally when it worked, the stats were

Noise : 6.3
ATT : 29.5
Download : 7487

After a few mins and restart, the figures were

I then moved the livebox to the ideal room which is essentially an extension hard wired from the master socket (ie not connected via a socket ) and the numbers were

Thanks again
Lee.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Feb-13 19:17:02
Print Post

That's only partial, but I want to see the Up figures to put it into context.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User leenowell
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 19:28:07
Print Post

Sorry in the router stats it has
attainable download rate
downstream
upstream

for the 3 scenarios they are

initial master socket

after reboot on master

in the ideal location

Hope this makes sense
thanks
Lee.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Feb-13 19:33:32
Print Post

Duh! & attenuations & NMs? It's better to tell too much than too little.

Standard User leenowell
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 19:49:03
Print Post

They were on the earlier post. I just added the 2 download and 1 upload values for each of the previous scenarios.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 03-Feb-13 19:50:40
Print Post

When you say master socket without filter, do you mean non of the extensions worked at that point, and it was the test socket you get to by taking the lower half of the master socket off?

If NOT then you should do that.

The downstream line speeds look very low, suggesting an issue which may be stopping the modem syncing at all sometimes.

Once in the master socket if it still does not connect, then unplug as many electrical devices as you can, or flip the fuse switch on the fuseboard for all the rooms in the house apart from the one needed for the router to work, and then just unplug everything in the room. Do this in stages and see if the modem connects eventually, if so you have a device in the home creating interference and you need to figure out which one

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Feb-13 19:56:41
Print Post

Not the Up ones! You're not following me! I'm after the full stats, not an extract that you think may be useful, incl. the Up NM & Attenuation.

Standard User leenowell
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 21:12:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The latest configuration is connected directly to the master socket with all extensions disconnected. The extensions worked fine from a phone but I wanted to remove any other issues.

My master socket doesn't have a lower removable section.

The setup worked fine for a couple of years until I started moving the livebox frowno
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to