Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RadioactiveMan
(newbie) Sat 23-Feb-13 12:44:13
Print Post

Second Internet

[link to this post]

Hello.
Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I'm hoping there maybe someone here who can help me out. I have recently started a job at a hospital and am living in the hospital's staff accommodation. The flats are all provided with a free broadband connection, but it's pretty slow and am trying to upgrade to a faster service for online gaming, watching movies etc.

Would I be needing a broadband and phone deal, or would I be able to just get a broadband deal as there is already a broadband connection?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 23-Feb-13 13:02:22
Print Post

Re: Second Internet

[re: RadioactiveMan] [link to this post]

You would be needing a phone line and broadband deal, and the accomodation may not allow you to install a telephone line - check the tenancy agreement.

Unless the broadband is via a company like Ask4 who metro ethernet and they will let you sign up to one of their faster packages, but it may still be slow if the connection to the building is simply busy because everyone is online.

If you have a reasonable 3G signal you could consider that, particularly with the faster 3G variants rolling out and 4G on the way.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Feb-13 14:04:31
Print Post

Free broadband? Does the taxman know?

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RadioactiveMan
(newbie) Sun 24-Feb-13 13:51:12
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Lol, I hope so wink

There's already a line installed but it's deactivated, so I don't think anything needs to be installed. I'm currently using a Mifi on Three's 3G network, but the ping times are sky high while gaming frown
Standard User aaronbert03
(newbie) Thu 21-Mar-13 04:59:29
Print Post

Re: Second Internet *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Mar-13 09:04:50
Print Post

Re: Second Internet *DELETED*

[re: aaronbert03] [link to this post]

Deleted so I could have spam on toast for breakfast

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to