Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lelboy
(member) Sat 16-Mar-13 21:47:16
Print Post

Spikes!

[link to this post]

Hello, Had an Infinity problem since last May, which BT have only just managed to address - in part.
In excess of 60 phone calls, emails and texts only provided me with:
1) We are doing maintenance work
2) We have found the problem - it is your HH3 , and we are sending you a replacement
3) We have found the problem - it is between your house and the street cabinet.
4) There is something wrong with your internal wiring.
5) Your PC is broken
6) You have a wireless fault (don't use wireless, well very, very infrequently)
It got to the point when I said I'm leaving, after which a tech investigation (?) guy - Paul called me: he assured me that as my IP had remained constant (@66meg) for the previous 28 days, then the fault is likely with your PC: this is where the spike reference comes into play.
I had been getting in excess of 63meg lots of the time, and down to 0.89 meg at other times.
No connection with time of day at all.
He advised me to check my speeds in "safe-mode with networking", and keep a note of my figures: they are ALWAYS in excess of 60 meg. I then restart in normal mode, and for quite a while the figures are very similar - but not consistent.
He said "spikes on the PC": what that means I am not too sure. I can identify with spikes on the PSU, but I've checked those - all fine - but have no idea where else he might be referring to. Fact of the matter is that "anytime" I check my speed in safe-mode, it is fine. Normal mode is the same as it has been for the last 10 months.
I ask if anyone has any thoughts about where to look or what to do.
The connection is perfectly usable, inasmuch as it is often, say 20+ meg, but that's not what I'm paying for. All suggestions gratefully received!
Cheers, Les.

Dell Optiplex 760
3gb Core Duo
4gb DDR2
80gb HDD (30+ to spare)
Win7 Ultimate (latest updates)
corded or cordless mouse & keyboard
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Mar-13 22:26:35
Print Post

Re: Spikes!

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

Unusable in what way?

Throughput speeds? Latency?
What examples of speed tests do you have e.g. the graphs from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

If as you suggest that in Safe mode (with networking I presume) the connection is fine, then it does tend to suggest the PC is the issue.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lelboy
(member) Sun 17-Mar-13 16:06:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew, Thanks for your reply. The connection is always "usable" not "unusable"smile
The schirmfoto link shows the latest test - via TBB - as the BT one's down! http://schirmfoto.de/52b8c72663

I thought he (BT Paul) may have been referring to PSU voltage fluctuations, but no, as I tested each voltage (open circuit of course). Any thoughts on what it might be? Perhaps a rogue program or something like? I'm at a loss. The PC is the same as it was since new (2009) programs have come and gone - regular a/v and spyware checks show nothing.

As I said, without fail, the readings are perfect in safe mode: what could it be, I wonder, that safe-mode is perhaps isolating?
Thanks gain, Les

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 17-Mar-13 23:40:13
Print Post

Httpx6 is behaving odd

What av firewall software are you running?

And what is cpu utilisation like?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lelboy
(member) Mon 18-Mar-13 12:17:59
Print Post

Hi Andrew, Thanks again.
I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials, but I only use the firewall that comes with the BT equipment ie HH3 & modem: I don't have Windows Firewall turned on at all - never have.

http://schirmfoto.de/eec81c4930
http://schirmfoto.de/eaf7534890

I assume your reference to CPU usage/utilisation relates to the figures I see in Windows task Manager?
Typically, using a program or two, the CPU usage would be about 10/30%
and when I do the BT speedtest it shows about 70/80% usage - as I type now it shows 1%.

If I've not understood exactly what you needed, perhaps you could let me know what you want to see?
Cheers, Les

Before finishing this email, I ran the BT wholesale test at the same time: CPU usage whilst downloading was 89% & 10% whilst uploading.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Mar-13 12:48:54
Print Post

When running our speedtest what does the CPU behave like?

Standard User lelboy
(member) Mon 18-Mar-13 13:51:29
Print Post

44% usage whilst downloading & 2/3% whilst uploading.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Mon 18-Mar-13 14:38:38
Print Post

what results do you get if you try a different browser?
(looks like you are using firefox, so can you try in ie9)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Mar-13 16:07:33
Print Post

And what sort of graphs did it produce, you can copy/paste the results link the test gives. There is no personal information on the page.

That seems like very high utilisation of the CPU, as I barely scratch 15% here with a Core 2 Duo processor around Centrino chipset (2.7GB of memory form 4GB in use)

Standard User lelboy
(member) Mon 18-Mar-13 17:13:13
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Hi Andrew, Is this what you want? It's from a test done a minute or two ago. Cheers, Les.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to