Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ellisn999
(newbie) Fri 26-Apr-13 17:59:58
Print Post

Noisy Line , but clear line test ...Advice needed

[link to this post]

Hi there , our ISP are BE . And our phone company are Axis . There is what sounds like electric interference / wind on the line and the internet is constantly dropping . This happens for 3 or 4 days then it will be fine for the next 3 or 4 days. When ever it happens I phone axis and the line test always comes back clear , despite me being able to hear the interference..

I just came off the phone from axis , and they said they couldn't hear nothing on the line and the line test was clear . They said they could arrange for an engineer to come out from open reach but if the line was clear when they got there and no fault was found i would be charged £160 .

Now whats worrying is that for 3 or 4 days the line will be clear and the internet won't drop , so if the engineer comes on this day will we really be charged £160 or will they get to the bottom of the problem?

And would it be worth contacting BE ? would there be anything they could do ?

Any advice would be great , thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Apr-13 18:21:45
Print Post

Re: Noisy Line , but clear line test ...Advice needed

[re: ellisn999] [link to this post]

Be will do nothing unless this is affecting the broadband

Have you used the 17070 and quiet line test facility when all the ADSL kit is unplugged to show there is noise.

Might be worth trying to keep a track of noise versus when it rains, as could be damp causing an issue.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ellisn999
(newbie) Fri 26-Apr-13 18:35:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It is effecting the broadband as it's constantly dropping when the noise is there . Its happening now and its a bit windy outside but nothing major and quite warm. I have unplugged everything and just plugged the phone in the test socket but it's still there , yet axis say the line test is not showing anything.

thanks for your reply btw

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User briansaab
(newbie) Fri 26-Apr-13 18:56:36
Print Post

I assume that you are on an overhead line to a pole. If so have you taken a look at that line? Tree branches may have grown sufficiently to hit the line as the wind blows.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Apr-13 18:59:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by ellisn999:
It is effecting the broadband as it's constantly dropping when the noise is there . Its happening now and its a bit windy outside but nothing major and quite warm. I have unplugged everything and just plugged the phone in the test socket but it's still there , yet axis say the line test is not showing anything.

thanks for your reply btw
The standard remote line test's will often fail to show line faults, and never show interference for instance, Because you are able to hear audible noise the isp will tell you to take it up with you telephony provider and report a fault to them, or offer to ramp up the target snr margins (change the line profile) in a bid to mask the problem , but your sync speed will see a decrease as a result,
As for charges from BT Openreach , if an engineer visits your phone the engineer is unable to find any fault or even hear this noise, he will conclude the line was "Right when tested" and your Telephone provider will be billed by Openreach if they pass this fee on or not is up to them, for a PSTN Fault the charge was £130.00 last year i'm not aware that it as since been increased , So it can be a case of put up with it, or take a chance , Ask you telephony provider if they will run the newer BT line test C.I.D.T Copper Intergrated Demand Testing BTW It would be pointless asking BE to do this as they don't use that test, apparently (according to their support staff)

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 26-Apr-13 19:29:40)

Standard User ellisn999
(newbie) Fri 26-Apr-13 19:02:44
Print Post

[re: briansaab] [link to this post]

We live on the ground floor of a 8 story flat so I presume the wires run underground into a box in the main part of the flat somewhere . Not sure tbh
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Fri 26-Apr-13 20:32:36
Print Post

I managed to convince BT many years back that there was a fault on my line, probably in the exchange equipment; by recording it on a micro-cassette recorder, then playing it back to the BT Area Manager.

Moved in three days to a different set of exchange equipment; and a different phone number - the latter being a story in itself!
Standard User ellisn999
(newbie) Fri 26-Apr-13 21:56:43
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

would there be any more modern way of recording noise on the line its been on and off now since yesterday afternoon . Its beyond a joke
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Apr-13 23:48:15
Print Post

But the issue with your line will be an HR fault, so a change of PSTN equipment as described won't clear the fault.

Since the issue is affecting your broadband, then it is down to your broadband service provider to get it resolved.

Ring BE, don't mention the noise on the line, just insist they send an SFI out. If you are plugged in at the NTE test jack, then there should be no issue with charges.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Apr-13 01:54:40
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
But the issue with your line will be an HR fault, so a change of PSTN equipment as described won't clear the fault.

Ring BE, don't mention the noise on the line, just insist they send an SFI out. If you are plugged in at the NTE test jack, then there should be no issue with charges.
Which they won't do unless they can satisfy their selves that there is strong evidence of a line fault,
First they will want to delay things by insisting on performing 24 or 48 hrs monitoring at the default profile ,or with higher target noise margins
Then they will want to send out an new modem /router (regardless if you have tried several routers already) then another 24/48hrs monitoring , before they will entertain the possibilty of involving BT openreach, this is their standard routine , Of course they would rarther a customer report it as a PSTN fault regardless of if they are the telephony provider or not, as the potential engineer costs are lower, i supose if the customer also has the phone service with them, they may not be as reluctant on involving Openreach

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 27-Apr-13 01:56:57)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to