Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Sat 04-May-13 19:02:52
Print Post

Trying to help a Belgian Friend

[link to this post]

My mate has a TG508 modem, when I was over there last time we bought a Linksys E1200 so that he could have wireless, but we couldn't get it to work, anyone have any ideas as to how to get these working.

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 04-May-13 20:23:47
Print Post

Re: Trying to help a Belgian Friend

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by The_Voyager:
My mate has a TG508 modem, when I was over there last time we bought a Linksys E1200 so that he could have wireless, but we couldn't get it to work, anyone have any ideas as to how to get these working.

Hmm. The TG508 is a single port modem/router with NAT capability.

The E1200 has an ethernet WAN port which should plug into the TG508 and if configured with DHCP on the WAN port it should get an address from from the 508

The LAN side IP address of the 1200 should be set to a different subnet to the TG508 LAN side for it to work. eg if the TG508 dishes out 192.168.1.x address make sure the E1200 LAN is on 192.168.y.z where y is something other than 1.

So it should work if set up correctly.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-May-13 20:33:41
Print Post

Usually, Linksys provide a "setup" program (Cisco Network Magic?) which does everything for you.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!

Edited by Deadbeat (Sat 04-May-13 20:34:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Sat 04-May-13 20:37:10
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks, I think I didn't configure the DHCP on the WAN port because it wouldn't get an address, problem was I only had the manual in Flemish/French, I've now downloaded the English version so will see in June when I next go to see them.

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
(committed) Sat 04-May-13 20:40:31
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

That was one of the problems it didn't work, it didn't get the address from the modem. I'll try the other suggestion when I go back in June

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 04-May-13 20:52:11
Print Post

it helps to know how the modem / router is being used normally. If they have a PC that uses DHCP then the router would do the same.

If their PC uses PPPoE ie a "Broadband Connection" in Windows then the 508 is in bridge mode and you would need the WAN of the router to be in PPPoE mode with the same username and password credentials as the PC uses.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(committed) Sat 04-May-13 21:00:49
Print Post

I'll look again to see what type of connection it is, but that could be the problem as if I remember, using the auto setup it did indeed ask for the username/password but then could not connect.

Thanks once again for your help, I'll make a note of all these ready for my next visit.

Bob WRBRIX
(committed) Sat 04-May-13 21:12:37
Print Post

Looking through the e1200 manual they may even have a PPTP connection:
<quote>
PPTP
Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) is a service that generally applies to
connections in Europe
</unquote>

I'll have to wait and see.

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-May-13 21:22:15
Print Post

Hadn't thought of direct bridging! The Cisco setup seems to work quite well but any connectoids set up on the PC would need to be removed before running it. Don't forget to ensure that you have working logon credentials before doing anything!!

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
(committed) Sat 04-May-13 21:29:43
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

I was just about to delete that as I have been looking at a Belgian forum (luckily Google Chrome translates it) and it looks like Belgacom are in fact PPPOE. I'll get them to find out exactly what their correct login details are before I get there, this may also have been the problem as they had various ones, totallly computer illiterate smile

Bob WRBRIX
  Print Thread

Jump to