Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CooLix
(member) Thu 09-May-13 11:54:08
Print Post

Damaged BT cable from pole to Master Socket

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I hope this is the right forum area.

I have an issue with the BT cable from the pole to the master socket.

I've recently moved into a house which has an single story extension at the rear. For some reason, the cable from the pole has been installed over the roof of the extension and because it's quite taut, has been slowly rubbing the top ridge tile and has now exposed the inner cores of the cable. The cable is fixed to the side of the house at about a height of 3 metres from the ground. Which I thought is too low for a pole to house cable run.

The question I have is that what can I do about this since there isn't a line fault? I'm I likely to get charged if I insist on BT OR visiting (via BT retail) to replace/assess the cable?

Or is it case of wait until it eventually wears down and breaks?

Any advice appreciated.

Steve

Rgrds

Lix

Using Be Pro product.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 09-May-13 12:43:58
Print Post

Re: Damaged BT cable from pole to Master Socket

[re: CooLix] [link to this post]

You need to speak to your VOICE provider.

It is a bad installation and if the extension was built without moving the dropwire it is only because the previous owner could not be bothered to get it moved. 3m is a little low but not a problem provided it is significantly higher if it crosses any roads.

So, call up and tell them what the situation is and that the cable moves and rubs a lot in windy weather and when that happens you get a lot of noise on the line - so a fault. BT should then send OR to sort it out and you should not be charged as there is a fault.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-May-13 13:12:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
It is a bad installation and if the extension was built without moving the dropwire it is only because the previous owner could not be bothered to get it moved...So, call up and tell them what the situation is and that the cable moves and rubs a lot in windy weather and when that happens you get a lot of noise on the line - so a fault. BT should then send OR to sort it out and you should not be charged as there is a fault.

Are you sure the OP will not be changed since the potential problem is within the property, if it is assumed that it was due to the actions of the previous owners?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 09-May-13 13:22:45
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

If it was like that when he arrived there is a good argument that the OP should not pay. Ultimately it is down to the person handling te call and the OP reporting noise on the line. And a friendly BT Tech!

If the OP had built the extension then I would say chargeable. If BT are going to charge now, then they would charge when it finally fails!

M H C

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-May-13 14:06:43
Print Post

[re: CooLix] [link to this post]

I had a similar situation over the years and did not have pay BT for repair but lost use of 1 of my extensions.

I had phone line installed by GPO in 1976 with a master + 2 extensions. The cable came from pole to top corner of house, entered loft, went right across loft and out opposite side, down 1 storey to flat roof of garage, across garage roof, right-angled bend to down garage wall, enter garage, through garage and into wall of study to master socket and then on to kitchen extension. At the same time an extension was led off loft to bedroom. Not sure how wired, but it must have been starred wired.

About 20 years later we lost phone signal. BT sent eng who found (I already seen) right-angled bend had frayed. So he recabled with a completely new route from top corner of house, down outside wall to enter study from front to master socket. No charge but now bedroom extension was out the loop. He and his manager refused to add bedroom back in and told me to get a cordless phone, which I eventually did. Now I use cordless all over the house.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 09-May-13 17:35:52
Print Post

Are you sure the OP will not be changed since the potential problem is within the property
but on Openreach's side of the NTE.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 09-May-13 17:51:27
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

But if my tree falls and takes out the line, BT could charge me. It is a grey area - but in this case the OP should be fine.

M H C

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-May-13 17:56:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Are you sure the OP will not be changed since the potential problem is within the property

Thought I read of a few instances where the line was damaged by building work etc. within the boundary of a customer's premises, OR side of the NTE5, and they had to pay for the repair?

Guess it would be a free repair if the line to the NTE5 had been poorly installed by OR though...or perhaps through normal "wear and tear"...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-May-13 18:38:01
Print Post

If for example you damage a line with a hedge strimmer then yes you pay, but generally longer term issues like this tend to be picked up by Openreach.

Of course there will be some uncertainty, but making it clear it was like this when you moved in will probably help the case.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-May-13 20:57:58
Print Post

... but within the customers curtilage. I would suggest no charge, but wouldn't absolutely guarantee it.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to