Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User darrenruple
(newbie) Mon 20-May-13 08:45:00
Print Post

Getting bt without connection charge and bt line status?

[link to this post]

Hello all

I'm a first time poster so please be nice to me if I've been dumb enough to put this in the wrong place!

I am in a building where there are a variety of used/unused bt lines all over the place.

I am trying to get one connected without paying an installation charge.

I have read that you can wire up a phone to a pair and dial 17070 and find out the number, and sometimes you can have that line switched on.

Is there any way you can tell or find out if that line can just be switched on?

If you have a number there is a trick on the PlusNet website where you can sort of work out what address bt has assigned to that number by process of elimination. You go through part of the process of signing up.

Does anyone know the exact process bt has as a line is disconnected/ceased?

Anyone know how to find what provider the line used to be on? Maybe lookup the number range?

Also, if there is a line in a junction box in a building, but itís no connected to a bt master box where there are filters and resistors and capacitors, when bt do line tests, can their line tests see if there is a bt master box there or not?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-May-13 09:41:55
Print Post

Re: Getting bt without connection charge and bt line status?

[re: darrenruple] [link to this post]

Plenty of providers offering credits for new lines, or free connection on the voice in return for 18 month contracts etc
With LLU you may even have dialtone but be connected to another providers hardware at the exchange.

At the end of the day spending time to chase the right offer on a new line may be more fruitful than trying to reverse engineer a situation which with the myriad of wiring sounds like you would actually be best on picking the line with the least number of extensions to get a good performing one.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 20-May-13 09:48:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello

Thanks for reply.

I want a line from BT business, because I know it will help give my business an identity.

I just want to try and not have to pay for the engineer visit and only signup for 12 months if possible.

A paper bt bill is a good proof of address and proof of the business

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 20-May-13 10:56:33
Print Post

is there a BT socket present with a dial tone ? that tends to define whether a charge is due for connection.

Even if there is no socket with a dial tone there are as MrS says deals on offer from many providers from time to time, for example BT Business offers 3 months free http://business.bt.com/assets/pdf/packages/3-month-f...
but that has a £99+VAT conn charge.

Other providers are available.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(newbie) Tue 21-May-13 16:51:26
Print Post

Hello again

I was going to look for a line in my buildings krone strip junction box.

That's why I asked if BT can tell if there is a BT master socket on the end or not.

If I can find an unused line I could always wire to a master box before I order the line.

But if I find a line with a number on it, using 17070 how do I find out if its easy for them to just switch it on?

Is there some tool I can do a lookup?

If the line dials out, with or without the 9 for featureline I know its someone else's and not to touch it.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-May-13 20:09:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by darrenruple:
...... I want a line from BT business, because I know it will help give my business an identity.....

What makes you think that? If it's the email address you're thinking of, any business worth it's salt should have it's own domain. This will also prevent you from being tied in to any particular provider should a move be required in future.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User partial
(member) Tue 21-May-13 22:04:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by darrenruple:
I was going to look for a line in my buildings krone strip junction box.

If I can find an unused line I could always wire to a master box before I order the line.

But if I find a line with a number on it, using 17070 how do I find out if its easy for them to just switch it on?

If the line dials out, with or without the 9 for featureline I know its someone else's and not to touch it.

Sounds like a simple case of unlawful interception to me.

You simply can't legally intercept other peoples phone lines in the BT network and start appropriating one that takes you fancy to yourself.

What kind of business are you starting? Is it some kind of fraud? People need to know in order to avoid.

Just sign up to a company that gives free connection or pay the rate like everybody else.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 22-May-13 07:28:48
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
Just sign up to a company that gives free connection or pay the rate like everybody else.

+1

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(newbie) Wed 22-May-13 10:57:19
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I don't understand why to recommend the exact things I've said I don't want to do?

I want a BT line because I am certain that that will get me in yellow pages and other places. I am unsure about other providers. I have been warned about the customer services of alternative providers. At least with bt its the devil you know..

I don't want to pay £100 or more for an engineers visit if I don't need one. Its a waste of money, and in the early days I am not going to have a vat number so that's more money that gets chucked in the bin.

Its a lot easier to save a pound than it is to make one. Have you guys not heard of that before?

I don't want to pay for a connection charge.

I don't want an alternative to BT, I don't trust them.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 22-May-13 11:05:02
Print Post

Do not, in any circumstances, touch the incoming lines.

Yo do not know who they belong to or where they are going. You will be breaking the law in two ways. Firstly by interfering with the BT network and secondly potentially intercepting communications not intended for you. And as you do not know what you are doing you could quite easily damage part of the network.

Potentially, save a pound and loose the company.

Be assured that BT security do actually monitor these forums, and will not take long to track you down and monitor your activities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to