Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trismegister
(newbie) Thu 27-Jun-13 09:06:47
Print Post

ADSL life after FTTC

[link to this post]

Can anyone point me to figures that show improvement (if any) to users staying with ADSL after FTTC has been taken up by others on the same cabinet?
I am variously told this: "... if the cabling between the cab and the exchange was of poor quality. You would see an increase similar to what would happen if we ran brand new copper cable to the cabinet"
and this "... the overall noise will drop just a small amount which could result in a small increase in speed, however, this could be offset by noise introduced by VDSL connections. So, possibly a small incease, but nothing to 'write home about'."
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 27-Jun-13 10:10:38
Print Post

Re: ADSL life after FTTC

[re: trismegister] [link to this post]

haven't seen anything to be honest. If the power masks are correct you shouldn't see much if any interference from the VDSL. I've never seen much crosstalk effect between ADSL lines, and I have two to play with.

Don't hold your breath - get on FTTC if you can !

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Jun-13 10:17:28
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I concur, nothing seen to support the idea that ADSL speeds get better as people switch to FTTC.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 27-Jun-13 10:22:29
Print Post

I agree!
My motivation for wanting to know is that our village's new cabinet is installed (a good start) and we keenly await (yawn) the arrival of the fibre cable and some mains power to the cabinet, and many of us can't switch over fast enough to our providers' fibre products - I expect I will go with BT Infinity 2 as I have no complaints with my Business Account except poor speed and reliability of the existing copper connection.

However, I am being asked by others: "Will we see our speed improve if we choose not to take up our provider's fibre product?" i.e. unless they take some new product, will their bandwidth remain terrible?

Anecdotes suggest they might see a slight improvement.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 27-Jun-13 10:40:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by trismegister:
Anecdotes suggest they might see a slight improvement.
I suspect this is a myth, certainly nothing I would want to base a decision on !

There's the chance the copper gets better or worse with any network intervention, but effects should be modest.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Jun-13 10:47:31
Print Post

The answer is no.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 27-Jun-13 10:52:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well, it's refreshing to hear such a clear and definite answer. To quote the message I had from BT:
I have had to speak with a colleague about this as to be honest i was not quite sure myself.
Essentially this can in theory improve the connection speed - not to fibre quality but still a good bit.
This would only improve the connection if the cabling between the cab and the exchange was of poor quality. You would see an increase similar to what would happen if we ran brand new copper cable to the cabinet.

I hope this answers your question

More BT flannel? "Still a good bit"
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Jun-13 12:27:06
Print Post

As is the one where folk report a slow down on their ADSL service just before FTTC goes live.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Jun-13 20:04:52
Print Post

For those that dont upgrade to fibre there is no change to the wiring

Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Thu 27-Jun-13 20:40:53
Print Post

This message is similar to the one I had when BT ran fibre 3km from the exchange to the cabinet about 300m away. We have a copper overhead cable from there, this installation being some 40 years old. Our 'up to 8Mb' connection had been running at 3 to 5Mb but on connecting the fibre it increased to 9Mb; we have seen 10Mb on occasion.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to