Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User theboylard
(regular) Thu 27-Jun-13 22:02:25
Print Post

New broadband line, worked ok after install, now it doesn't?

[link to this post]

Evening all,

can anyone shed any light on this?

TalkTalk buisness lines installed last Thursday. Nice BT man, all good.
One for phone and adsl broadband, t'other for fax and card terminal.

Did a test connection on Tuesday this week with pc's etc, remote connection to Wellingborough office, all good and working a treat, everyone is happy!!!

Sparky's and Alarm man been on site for 2 days, Sparks have done all the network stuff and run the phone lines into the offices and terminated with boxes etc.
I've set up the technicolor TG582N modem/router this evening in the offices and we have no broadband? Just sits there and doesn't connect?

Picked up the phone and rang TalkTalk Business support, whilst on phone to them the line connects and we're sorted.

Hang up, go to do some other bits, then just glance at the router and it's dropped again.

Phone TT again, as I'm dialing say to my boss that you watch, it'll connect now, and it did!!

Went through some tests with them, moved router to master socket and connected in, still no connection.
He ran a test that cut the phone, checked the router again and it had just dropped when the phone was cut?

So, the broadband cannot connect (no synch, no connection), but if I make a call, then it works fine?!

So, my thoughts are:

Alarm? that's the only real change to the line - has it been boogered?
Router? Taking one of mine in in the morning, along with filters and fresh phone cables to test.
Is it a fault on the line?

Thanks in advance, dreading tomorrow as big boss is back and he'll not be impressed if it's not working properly!!!

Plusnet FTTC - early days yet smile
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 27-Jun-13 22:33:00
Print Post

Re: New broadband line, worked ok after install, now it does

[re: theboylard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by theboylard:
Sparky's and Alarm man been on site for 2 days, Sparks have done all the network stuff and run the phone lines into the offices and terminated with boxes etc.
Electricians are not known for their Telecoms abilities, neither are Alarm men.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Jun-13 22:54:57
Print Post

They have probably hard wired the alarm to an extension without using a filter , connect the router to the test socket behind the lower half of the faceplate on the the master socket , that BT openreach would of installed, and see if it still disconnects

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User theboylard
(regular) Thu 27-Jun-13 22:56:48
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Done that - doesn't connect at all.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Jun-13 06:21:38
Print Post

Be brave. Is there actually extension wiring connected to the face plate ?

If not, take the further two larger screws out behind the faceplate, and have a look at what is terminated on the rear of the main NTE. There should only be a single pair of wires terminated on the A and B IDC's on the back.

If this is the case, only two wires attached, and no extension wiring on the front, then sadly, I would suggest that the sparks/alarm guys have made an illegal attachment on the line somewhere before the NTE. The main incoming DP block would be an obvious place.

The Openreach engineer will have to have done pair quality tests upon completion, so it really does look like the contractors you had in have naffed something up. Can you get them back out ?

I completely agree with Batboy's post.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 28-Jun-13 09:39:25
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

There is the possibility that the alarm could be wired to the main NTE too. Some alarm companies have approval from BTO to undertake that work - however I have seen cases where they do a nice neat job but totally forget the filter! There are filters which sit inside a standard back box with a blank front plate or inside the alarm. An alarm should not be wired to a removable front plate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User theboylard
(regular) Sun 30-Jun-13 22:02:08
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The sparks had done something, took them a couple of hours to figure it out!
They then reconnected the alarm - I'd told them to disconnect whilst they sorted their bit out.

Then noticed the broadband had dropped out again!!!
Big boss was not very happy!
Spoke to sparks and they had reconnected the alarm, so disconnected and everything all good!

Spoke to alarm guy and he said just stick it on the other line!!

Problem solved!!

Cheers all

Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Mon 01-Jul-13 07:23:51
Print Post

Did you note where in the ADSL line circuit, the alarm was connected, relative to the NTE5 etc, when the alarm was causing the problems?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 01-Jul-13 10:01:41
Print Post

I have managed teams doing electrical installation and telecoms over the years. The best advice I can always give is: Let the sparks do the power wiring, let comms technicians do the phones and networks ( and even then you might need one for each) and let the alarm installers cause problems for everyone! And lets the comms tech wire the master to alarm connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User clyde123
(learned) Tue 02-Jul-13 21:31:05
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Amen to MHC's comment.
Just a point about the alarm - if it's Redcare it needs to be on a particular line.
  Print Thread

Jump to