Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Wed 10-Jul-13 11:29:30
Print Post

Name address

[link to this post]

If you use www.ipchicken.com it will basically return your wan IP address but other information also provided most notably your Name address. The long string returned doesn't normally, IMHO, have much value to the end user.

However with a fixed IP having a name relating to your organisation is most useful particularly for ad hoc VPN connections as you don't have to remember the numeric WAN IP address. Certainly when Nildram were around you could choose this Name address as a kind of sub domain name.

Today when you get a fixed IP from, say, BT the Name address is likely to be something like host86-142-22-108.range86-142.btcentralplus.com - Ordering a new service recently, I asked about having a Name Address and they had no idea what is was talking about.

So how do you get a Name address if you want one?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Jul-13 11:53:56
Print Post

Re: Name address

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

It is called Custom Reverse DNS and Zen used to do it and so will other providers, but don't know the full list off hand.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mattewan
(regular) Wed 10-Jul-13 13:25:57
Print Post

Re: Name address

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Plusnet offer it on static ips on my business account. I think you can have a static ip on a residential account too... so you may be able to ask for rdns on that too... not sure

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to