Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tedmac
(newbie) Thu 11-Jul-13 15:59:40
Print Post

Moving home

[link to this post]

Firstly, hello everyone! I have just discovered this forum and have decided to join.....
...and I have a question, that somebody may be able to advise on.

I am moving home soon (to another part of the country) and I need to have an active phone live with broadband on the day that I arrive in my new home. I need this for business purposes.

Now, the situation is this......
The current homeowner of the property I shall be moving into has a SKY account ie. SKY phone service and SKY broadband. He has given SKY notice of termination of his service and will be terminated on the day he moves out and I move in.

I want to use BT for a phone and broadband service and have scheduled them to provide me with the said on the day I move in.

However, the current homeowner has been told by SKY that the broadband, although terminated, will not me removed for a further 10 days.

Does this mean that BT will not be able to connect me when I move in?
....if so, can anything be done to resolve this?
...or will BT just take ownership of the line and provide me with a phone and broadband service on my day of arrival and everything will be okay?

I hope someone can enlighten me.
Cheers
Ted.
Standard User KelvinBridge
(newbie) Thu 11-Jul-13 18:23:01
Print Post

Re: Moving home

[re: tedmac] [link to this post]

I would suggest that BT are the best people to make your inquiry too , as they will be trying to carry out your request to join them, but others may have had previous experience of the complexity of switching Providers on the same day !!
Standard User tedmac
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 09:08:06
Print Post

[re: KelvinBridge] [link to this post]

Thanks for that Kelvin. I have already spoken to BT, several times about it, and their sales people say the order is progressing okay, but they also say that they will not know if there are any problems until the actual day of activation - which seems a bit late to me, and it's something I am trying to avoid.

I am just wondering how other small businesses or users get around this problem of a previous network provider not releasing a line for 10 days. Remember, that's 10 working days (2 weeks), which could result in a loss of money for some.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-13 09:18:04
Print Post

[re: tedmac] [link to this post]

Alas that is how it is

Not releasing line is odd and a new one as a cease is a cease. I would plan contingencies just in case

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Jul-13 18:03:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I agree. Looks like a few days working out of mcD's, starbucks or some other place with free wifi. As this is business, you could also rent a room in a hotel and use their wifi for a few days.

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to