Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User austinrover
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 17:48:52
Print Post

ISP change IP profile drop! - unhelpful new ISP!

[link to this post]

Hello techies - I'm not so up with how it gets to the router and hope that someone could explain what's going on here.
Changed to Post Office Broadband from Newnet on 3rd July (already had PO homephone for 4 years and Newnet for 4 years). IP profile with Newnet 5.5Mbps dropped to 2.0Mbps on 3rd July when changed over to Post Office. Corresponding speed drop from over 5Meg to less than 2Meg.
BTW speed test:
Download speed 1.96Mbps
DSL Connection rate 6.05Mbps(Down) 0.45(Up)
IP Profile 2Mbps.

ThinkBroadband graph: I haven't worked out how to post this but it drops off a cliff! horizontal at 5Meg until 3rd July and drops, drops, drops.

Post office are adamant that no problem and my line is only capable of "stable" 2Meg! I will cancel the PO contract if necessary and change to someone else (who?), if I cannot make them see sense here.
I hope someone can provide me with some useful advice here or suggest what actions I could take.
thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Jul-13 21:16:52
Print Post

Re: ISP change IP profile drop! - unhelpful new ISP!

[re: austinrover] [link to this post]

Post your router stats so we can assess what your line is really capable of.

Also what exchange?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(newbie) Sat 13-Jul-13 08:24:04
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for your interest. I have a ZyXEL router supplied by PO. I'm not sure if this is what you want to see but in Diagnostics I found this:

relative capacity occupation: 54%
noise margin upstream: 20.0 db
output power downstream: 20.0 dbm
attenuation upstream: 24.0 db
followed by tone bits table

and then
relative capacity occupation: 121%
noise margin downstream: 6.0 db
output power upstream: 12.0 dbm
attenuation downstream: 47.0 db

also followed by tone bits table.
It may be relevant that yesterday morning when I spoke to PO they took me through the WAN tab and found the login identifier as the ZyXEL default which we then altered to my PO ID - he said I should see a change later. When I contacted PO late afternoon they were not interested in investigating further and said I was only going to get 2Mbs. I have had consistently 5Mbps for at least the last 9 months.

If the above isn't what you need from the router to advise me, then please let me know.
Many thanks for your time. I hope to hear from you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Jul-13 09:22:38
Print Post

Speedtest graph, right click to get link to the graph and post that.

Each graph has a unique name but vanish after a few days or weeks

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Jul-13 09:25:04
Print Post

The connection speeds from the same time as the stats are really needed but if earlier figures apply it looks like yes ip profile should be higher

Need to keep on at PO support, good luck

If your upstream is 448 kbps then old style adsl and ip profile may well fix itself in a few days. Maximum of five days

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sat 13-Jul-13 11:00:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice - current test is
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

However I don't know how to display the ThinkBroadband history graph that I have from early this year to current date which clearly shows the drop.

I also have BTW speedtest results which I don't know is helpful towards an interpretation.- these currently show speed 1.93Mbps, DSL connection rate 6.3Mbps (Down), 0.45Mbps (up), IP Profile 2Mbps

I may have problems with PO support who completely blanked me yesterday afternoon and said I wasn't going to get anything better! I think my only route is now to write to their complaints office and see if someone will look into this further. Newnet did have problems with early May where they asked me to turn off my router when not using the computer - which I'm informed was resolved by them and concerned only certain makes of router - it was not the line that was a problem.

Hopefully someone can make some sense of this for me so I can make the case.
Thanks again for the help
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Jul-13 13:49:05
Print Post

I'd wager that 2 meg is what the PO has asked BT Wholesale to provide for you.

Sadly, the PO as an ISP has a poor reputation for customer support, so getting this resolved may prove painful.

Good luck.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Jul-13 13:57:23
Print Post

The speed test graph is nice to see, but you need to go and check what the connection speed for the upstream is showing as in the zyxel router, the number being 448 or something else is important to how we answer and suggest what may be the best course of action.

the rounded number of 0.45 from the BT speedtest is not accurate enough.

(newbie) Sat 13-Jul-13 19:46:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks again Mr Saffron after stumbling around in the router I found on the Status page the ADSL Showtime stat as 6336/448. So can I deduce that this is the current reading of 6336 (Down) and 448(Up) and as you point out my line has been setup by PO to 2Meg?
If this is the case then its very naughty as I was told that my line, as with Newnet, would work by operating as fast as the line would allow (previous IP profile 5.5). I will put that to them and see what they say - I always have the option of cancelling and hopefully seeing what action I can take with consumer laws. I was reasonably happy with Newnet and other than the odd niggle only changed to rationalize billing ( I'm getting on a bit now). It makes a bit of a nonsense the PO telling me to wait for line training and then have the audacity to say its unstable!
If there is any other route that I could investigate following I would be grateful to hear.
Best regards.
Standard User spongebobhims
(regular) Sat 13-Jul-13 21:21:30
Print Post

When you speak your ISP support again ask for a SNR reset as a stuck 2MB profile can be a common fault on 20CN products.
If all is well you should get your profile changed within 24 - 48 hours, (be aware DLM restarts it's 10 day test after the reset has been requested)

Hope this helps.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to