Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bbjunkie
(newbie) Sun 21-Jul-13 19:07:29
Print Post

SNR slowly dropping then rises with phone off hook

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have been unable to get my modem/router to sync with the exchange unless beforehand I lift the phone off hook and replace it after a second or two.

After the line sync's I can see a SNR of anything up to 12dB - this gradually drops until the line looses sync again (usually over a number of hours)

If I keep monitoring the line SNR on my router stats page, I see that if I again take the phone off hook the SNR rises again. By doing this, I can keep the line synced for a longer period of time.

I am using an ADSLnation faceplate, with no external wiring and only a single phone connected (along with my modem/router)

Have tried a new cable between router and socket
Have tried a new router
Have tried removing faceplate and connecting router with an external filter.

I have no noise on the phone circuit.

ISP is f2s, connection is up to 8mb on a BT line.

Currently synced at 512kbps which is 1.5mbps lower than my usual sync speed.

Due to the 99 quid Openreach charge I really want to be 100% sure that it's BT's network before I report the fault.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Pete
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 21-Jul-13 20:14:32
Print Post

Re: SNR slowly dropping then rises with phone off hook

[re: bbjunkie] [link to this post]

Does it work with the router in the test socket? i.e. when nothing else is connected?

This may be a High Open fault

Check your filters and internal wiring.

Check for line noise.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 21-Jul-13 20:46:42
Print Post

report it. If the thing isn't in sync normally it's a fault., They can't claim it isn't one if you have to take the phone off hook to wet a bad joint to get it to work.

Just power it off, restart it with the phone on the hook and call 'em up - no sync !

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Jul-13 21:31:48
Print Post

OK, so when there is no sync, lift the handset, dial 17070, then option 2 for a quiet line test.

Keep listening to the phone, as the router syncs up do you here 'fax like' tones. If you do, then it is almost certainly an HR (high resistance) fault, there is a bum connection on the pair of wires somewhere. If not then you may be looking at an issue with the DSLAM card in the exchange. My money is on the first option.

Don't be fobbed off by your broadband service provider, with them telling you to ring BT voice faults. Just report it as no sync, jump through their various hoops, and get an SFI booked. You have ruled out that it's anything to do with your equipment, so they can't be passing a charge on to you.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Jul-13 06:12:08
Print Post

Disconnect the broadband.

Ring the ISP & report no broadband at all.
It's going to be much easier to get the ISP to send out an engineer if there's no sync what so ever

& you can let them know its been dropping the last few days

When they come out ensure the internets not live, so they see the fault.

The phone malarkey isn't important. It doesn't sync as it should when the phones not picked up. Most people wouldn't even figure out that picking up the phone makes it work.

The ISP needs to send somebody out. So if you're internets with sky, sky need to send someone out
If its talktalk - talktalk need to send somebody out
It they try to fob you off and tell you to ring BT yourself (Aol were common at this) or your phone provider refuse & ask for a manager.
Standard User bbjunkie
(newbie) Tue 23-Jul-13 01:11:44
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Perfect, it's a HR fault. Will report it tomorrow - believe it or not this is my standby line for when my main one goes down - so I've got 2 faults! (other line is faulty dslam causing a clicking on the voice circuit sounding like an electric fence)

thanks guys

bbj
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Jul-13 06:56:55
Print Post

Hope they're not both on the same ISP!!
  Print Thread

Jump to