Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User davetel
(regular) Wed 31-Jul-13 14:16:44
Print Post

What does 'Loss of signal' mean?

[link to this post]

Hope this is the right place.

Perhaps I am being thick, but what does 'Loss of signal' mean? Over my years on BB I have always thought it meant the no. of resyncs, as 'uptime' on some routers stats often means time router powered on. When I have a resync at the time i am actually on the PC, the 'uptime' resets but errors etc never reset, so always took LOS to be 'resync'.

However last week and last two days I have had 'Loss of signal' (local). Had 20 LOS in last 24hrs (mon-tues eve) and 8 Friday -28 total -. Son was at home Monday streaming films and iplayer and never had any buffering (unless when he went to loo, LOL). Spoke to O2 tech who said it could mean loss of 'internet' not DSL, and they said no loss of sync in last 24 hrs (mon-tues eve), confirming sync time at 6 days +. Or could it be a router glitch. Been keeping an eye on things before I may jump ship to PlusNet. Stats as of 18.55 last night.: Just rang son no LOS today so far.

Uptime: 6 days, 2:30:35
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,150 / 6,126
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 969 / 5,607
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 55.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 5.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 28 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 118 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 2,365 / 1,664,721,575
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2,365 / 11,226
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 844 / 9,609
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 31-Jul-13 14:37:22
Print Post

Re: What does 'Loss of signal' mean?

[re: davetel] [link to this post]

You may find this http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_errors.htm interesting - scroll down to LOS.
Standard User davetel
(regular) Wed 31-Jul-13 16:38:49
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Brill, thanks, nowt to be concerned about, learnt something new, got my other son worried as he's had 320,000+ in 6mths, he's on PN with no 'profile' issues.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 31-Jul-13 18:23:33
Print Post

Plusnet may connect to G.992.5 annex A, if your exchange is enabled, and you should get a slightly faster downstream sync. However your line looks OK on G.992.1 annex A given an attenuation of 55dB smile
Standard User davetel
(regular) Wed 31-Jul-13 22:25:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Plusnet may connect to G.992.5 annex A, if your exchange is enabled, and you should get a slightly faster downstream sync. However your line looks OK on G.992.1 annex A given an attenuation of 55dB smile

Yes 21CN, was 992.5 on O2 used to get 6100ish atten 58, but O2 changed it 2yrs ago after a fault. Not worried if PN put me 992.1.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Aug-13 00:01:50
Print Post

Does seem that your line is probably more stable on G.992.1 annex A...guess you will just have to wait a see what happens if you switch to Plusnet and perhaps ADSL2+ initially. However your downstream sync speeds are very good on those 55dB and 58dB attenuations smile
Standard User davetel
(regular) Thu 01-Aug-13 09:13:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
.....see what happens if you switch to Plusnet and perhaps ADSL2+ initially. However your downstream sync speeds are very good on those 55dB and 58dB attenuations smile

One of the PN DCT on here said they could provision on ADSL1.

Its all underground, the penalty is if you get a fault with estimate of 2meg. Had a fault with the actual test socket box 2 yrs ago that caused 100+ resyncs per day, 2wks after BTOR replaced it and went back to normal, O2 put me on ADSL1 to stabilise!!!!!. Longest sync was 63 days on ADSL2+. but heh ho i'm happy with what I get. FWIW 2wks ago it did sync at 6022 for two days on ADSL1 !!!! When I noticed SNM was at 8 thought I'd reboot.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 01-Aug-13 09:20:28
Print Post

I wouldn't do that - get the full service and select the modulation type on your router - then you have control and can see which is best.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User davetel
(regular) Thu 01-Aug-13 12:11:12
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
I wouldn't do that - get the full service and select the modulation type on your router - then you have control and can see which is best.

I have the o2 boxII, 585v7, which seems much locked down, my own 585v6 used to work but O2 made changes to network in Feb and since then it won't connect to 'Internet', only DSL, despite following Oliver341's O2 help site for flashing the firmaware, which he's now closed from today. Never mind my 585 will do as a backup as and when I move.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Aug-13 12:55:17
Print Post

With the 585 v6 it should be fairly straight forward to telnet a change to the modulation type using Windows Command Prompt if the firmware is V6.2.G or later.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to